Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Child Protection Manager
Job ID: 1900023I
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Child Safeguarding: Level 3
- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access o vulnerable children and young people.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- The Child Protection (CP) Manager will be based in Borno State and is the sectoral manager of all child protection implementations in the Humanitarian Response, NE Nigeria
- The overall aim of the CP Manager is to manage the CP team and ensure CP interventions are in line with Save the Children and donor guidelines;
- including assessment, design and managing staff to initiate quality interventions to address violations of children’s rights to protection from abuse, exploitation, violence and neglect
- The post holder is responsible for ensuring that quality programmes are implemented and capacities developed to provide these kinds of protection to children in a range of Save the Children’s emergency responses in NE Nigeria
- The post holder is expected to also support on proposal writing and is responsible for programme reporting, programme design and capacity building of staff
- The manager will support in the development of the sector strategy and will represent Save the Children in coordination groups and support fundraising, recruitment and procurement.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Identify learning and training opportunities for child protection staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model.
- Build capacities of government and ministries staff.
- Build capacity of local partners’ staff.
- Build capacity of other core sectors for fluid integration.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with other agencies and the government; take a leadership role in the Interagency Coordination forums to ensure children needs of children are addressed. This may involve taking the lead in the Child Protection Working Group, cluster and/or sub-groups.
- Take steps to document lessons learned for wider dissemination.
- In collaboration with senior programme staff, play a lead role in child protection advocacy activities targeting decision-makers.
- In collaboration with Save the Children colleagues feed in learning experiences and evidence to relevant global child protection advocacy objectives.
- Identify opportunities and material to contribute to external communications and media work, acting as a spokesperson when required.
- Prepare reports to donors to ensure that correct and appropriate sector information is included.
- Demonstrate leadership in relation to Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Deliver high quality results and development effective relationships with country programme staff which enhances the reputation of Save the Children.
Scope of Role
- The CP Manager will be responsible for developing and managing the CP Programme implementation of the humanitarian response, including Case Management and CPIMS
- The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno State.
- Reports to: Deputy Team Leader - Programme Operations
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 3
- Budget Responsibilities: Yes
- Dimensions: S/he is expected to work closely with the Child Protection team, the Nutrition, Food Security & Livelihoods, Health and Education Programme Managers, the Logistics, Finance, Awards, Human Resource Managers, the MEAL team and his/her team.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)Accountability:
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency