Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infrastructure Manager
Job Code: 200000DS
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
- Working closely with the STaR Program Manager, the Infrastructure PM will be responsible for overall community planning for infrastructure and ensuring quality design and construction of all infrastructure projects planned under the STaR project.
- The post holder will similarly be responsible for managing the vendors / construction company selection process; developing the technical inputs for procurement processes; putting in places monitoring processes for works through CRS staff or third parties; the cash-for-work (CFW) program; adherence to KFW, Government of Nigeria and CRS construction policies and legislation; and, the safety of construction teams and users of constructed infrastructure.
- The post holder will ensure compliance with International Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) standards and assessing environmental impact putting in place mitigation strategies against environment degradation in the communities being served.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Project Implementation and Technical Support
- Facilitate a community-led engagement to prioritize infrastructure requirements of communities within budgetary constraints of the program. Liaise closely with other STaR project staff (especially the DRR community planning team), community and government leaders.
- Produce technical designs and drawings, structural plans and bills of quantities for infrastructure projects proposed in STaR project or hire relevant technical specialists to ensure quality. Prepare indicative budgets for all infrastructure works designed.
- Obtain requisite inputs and approvals of technical designs from relevant Nigeria Government Ministries and Departments Agencies (MDAs).
- Ensure adherence of technical designs and drawings, structural plans and bills of quantities to the KFW and CRS policies, guidelines and regulations Obtain and archive donor approvals appropriately in Gateway.
- Work closely with community and government MDAs to ensure allocation of land for infrastructure projects and lead requisite due diligence processes to ensure allocated land is free from encumbrance and security of tenure is achieved.
- Approvals from government MDAs and communities must be obtained in writing and should be archived appropriately in Gateway.
- Work closely with other relevant project staff to design the Cash-for-Work protocol following community and LGA-level assessments. Work closely with community leaders to identify both skilled and unskilled CFW beneficiaries. Oversee the training of CFW beneficiaries.
- Oversee and manage environmental assessments in accordance with Government of Nigeria MDAs’ guidelines and KFW / Government of Germany policies, guidelines and regulations.
- Manage the day-to-day tasks of the infrastructure project sub-component including overseeing of CRS staff and contractors. Individual tasks might include:
- Allocating staff / third-party supervisors to ensure day-to-day supervision and reporting on construction progress
- Ensuring requisite safety precautions are taken during construction in accordance with KFW and CRS policies and guidelines.
- Ensuring periodic sign-off of construction progress and inspection by appropriate government and community representatives.
- Ensuring good documentation and reporting on the works at the daily site diaries from the contractors, weekly site reporting from the monitoring team and periodic reporting back to donor.
- Work closely with Procurement and Logistics teams to ensure requisite goods and services are availed at the construction site in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Procurement and Logistics teams and community leadership to ensure proper and secure storage of construction materials.
- Lead the development of technical components and documentation for tendering process to hire contractors for contractor-led construction. Proactively contribute to procurement processes and understand contractual relationships with contractors.
- Ensure proper handover of completed projects to communities and government MDAs in a manner that supports continued use and sustainability of the project such as maintenance and operational procedures and financing. This entails:
- Formulating sustainability plans, obtaining buy-in from communities and government MDAs and ensuring communities’ / government MDAs invest in request resources to enable sustainability of the projects;
- Working with government and community MDAs to handover plans; and,
- Properly documenting and archiving handover documentation.
- Coordination and representation
- Under the direction of the DERR and Program Manager, represent STaR and support coordination efforts where required.
- Work closely with other STaR and CRS staff to liaise with community members, including displaced communities to draft community development plans and link these plans to the government budgeting process and / or to other development initiatives including DFID funded PERL and Government of Germany funded / GIZ managed projects
- MEAL and reporting
- In coordination with the MEAL Officer, ensure timely and quality capturing of MEAL data on the infrastructure project component.
- Ensure timely completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator tracking tables (ITT).
- Provide regular (using standardized formats) and ad hoc reporting on implementation to the STaR leadership, CRS Nigeria leadership and the donor as required.