The Maryland Global InitiativesCorporation (MGIC) Nigeria, an affiliate of the University of Maryland Baltimore, is a Non-Governmental Organization funded by the U.S Government through the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
Reports to: Country Director
- The Laboratory Manager (LM) is the focal person for all laboratory activities for MGIC Nigeria and will be responsible for overseeing NAIlS 2.0 activities including the biorepository, recency testing in UMB supported States, drug resistance testing, specimen management, chemistry tests, immunological assays and implementation science associated protocols.
- This individual will be expected to provide expert level support in laboratory related activities including rapid diagnosis testing, ELISA testing, quality management, ethics, workforce training, Good Laboratory Practice, equipment maintenance.
The main responsibilities of the laboratory manager will include to:
- Provide oversight and expertise on all laboratory related activities ensuring General Laboratory Practices at all times
- Provide guidance, coordination, supervision, and training for laboratory activities at MGIC Nigeria supported sites and at the NCDC reference laboratory which serves as NAIlS central laboratory
- Provide QA/QC for sample analyses within a laboratory setting
- Develops systems to promote the adherence to policies and principles regarding the use, maintenance, and calibration of laboratory equipment
- Ensures a safe working environment that meets and exceeds applicable requirement and guidelines
- Oversees staff compliance with policies, processes, and procedures for the operation of laboratory equipment
- Represent MGIC Nigeria and UMB interests and integrity in all inter-agency and government of Nigeria meetings; and laboratory technical working groups
- Prepares reports and presentations as required by the management of MGIC Nigeria and UMB
- Participate in interdepartmental meetings and cooperate with other staff and colleagues at MGlC Nigeria.
In the area of laboratory diagnostics, the Laboratory manager will in addition:
- Update procedures and SOP for applicable testing benches within the lab
- Monitors staff compliance with processes, procedures, policies
- Provide expertise in point-of-care testing and management of point-of-care testing program eg. HIV, Hep B, and so on.
- Provide continuous improvement in the laboratory processes
Laboratory Surveillance and Recency Testing:
- In the area of Laboratory surveillance and recency testing, the Laboratory manager will in addition:
- Support the appropriate processing, storage, and retrieval of biological specimens NCDC reference Laboratory, Gaduwa using best biorepository and ISBER compliant practices
- Support capacity building of staff at NCDC reference laboratory, Gaduwa to accurately conduct LAG Avidity
- Provide technical assistance to recency testing facilities as required
- Coordinate quality control activities at recency testing facilities and oversee continuous laboratory improvement practices in the testing facilities.
- Supports the collection and analysis of high quality data to support MGlC supported States and the NCDC reference laboratory
- Support continuous laboratory testing, data compilation, and data dissemination for targeted surveillance activities
- Reviews data from participating facilities and contribute to discussions and reporting based on the data
- Works closely with the Health Informatics Head of Department to develop, secure and stable data storage and retrieval systems, including creating new variables as necessary; and the analysis of data to ensure that strategic needs and project deliverables are met.