BitPesa is a pan-African platform redefining how businesses make payments to and from sub-Saharan Africa. Focused on using cutting-edge blockchain technology to increase efficiency across markets, BitPesa opens corridors for business payments and trade between Africa and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead, Financial Crime and Compliance Operations
Function: Legal & Compliance
- We’re looking for an experienced Financial Crime and AML expert, to bring our financial crime and AML operations up to speed. The right candidate should have a working knowledge of the cryptocurrency landscape and a passion for disruptive technology.
- You will play a key role in shaping and delivering the company’s risk appetite, automation, operations and controls around fraud and AML. You will be working at the edge of financial services, helping to define and drive innovation at the interface between the decentralised blockchain and conventional financial services.
- While maintaining the customer experience and interests as a core objective, you will be responsible for setting high standards of legal and regulatory compliance, across all customer onboarding, transaction monitoring and investigations activities. You will seek to advance and protect the reputation of the firm and maintain a good knowledge of latest industry developments in applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- The role is reporting into the Chief Risk Officer, however, we’re looking for someone driven and willing to take full ownership of the task at hand. We aspire to lead the way in building a world-class compliance offering at the forefront of a technological revolution. If you think you’re up to the challenge we’d love to hear from you.
- You will be leading the set-up of our FC/AML/KYC operation to ensure the business is compliant with current and prospective regulatory obligations.
- Building comprehensive risk guidelines and defining our risk appetite.
- Transaction monitoring, define scorecards for ongoing monitoring of fiat and crypto transactions. Identify and investigate potential fraud or financial crime risks
- Fraud, Chargeback and Dispute management
- Responsible for the setup and on-going review of SARs and SAR process.
- Working closely with the Product Managers to build a consumer platform integrating a highly intuitive and user-friendly KYC/AML solution.
- Monitor effectiveness of card processor fraud & AML authorisation
- To embed a comprehensive understanding of the Financial Crime risks associated with our business.
- Customer Due Diligence, design and enhance CDD and EDD processes to maintain high automation rates, fraud and AML scorecards for assessing and monitoring crypto portfolios
- Create, implement and oversee policies and procedures for combating Financial Crime that are easy to understand and follow.
- Ensure the business is compliant with relevant regulatory obligations and well positioned to deal with future changes in regulation
- Working closely with all other departments, third parties such as our partner bank, law enforcement, other financial institutions and financial crime prevention bodies
- Maintain a good knowledge of industry best practice across all areas of onboarding and financial crime. Thought Leadership / Best practice.
- Building strong relationships with third parties and institutions
- Showing though leadership and visibility in crypto compliance space, attending events and acting as an ambassador on behalf of the company.
- Working closely with the Operations Manager to ensure all staff are up to date with any needed compliance training.
- Updating management team through weekly report.
- Scaling the team and operations as the business grows.