Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: LGA Field Officer
Locations: Bauchi, Jigawa, Kebbi, Sokoto
Length of Contract: 2 years
Role type: National
Travel Involved: 40% within the states
Child safeguarding level: 4
Reporitng to: LGA Cluster Supervisor
Direct reports: None
Country and Project Background
- The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 - 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 projects.
It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control/elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
Malaria Consortium has recently received funding to implement SMC in three West African countries including Nigeria. In Nigeria, malaria consortium has decided to use the fund to continue SMC implementation in the 4 states it has been supporting since 2013 with UNITAID (Sokoto and Zamfara), DFID (Katsina and Jigawa) and BMSMC (Katsina) funds.
Under this new funding and any anticipated additional funding, all Malaria Consortium SMC
activities in country will be consolidated into a single project and managed by Senior Project
Manager who will report to the Country Programme Manager.
- The LGA Field Officer oversees and implements all aspects of SMC activities at LGA, health facilities and household level.
- He/she is responsible for planning, implementation, reporting and coordination with local government representatives and community-level stakeholders.
Scope of Work:
- The role of LGA Field Officer is to ensure quality implementation of delivery of SMC services at the community level by HFW/supervisors and CHWs through the timely delivery of SMC commodities and supplies, provision of supportive supervision, training and documentation of program activities.
- S/he provides supportive supervision and training to the above actors and ensures respect of SMC administration protocols. He/she interacts with the State Minister of Health, LGA management team, keeps them updated on the program progress and ensures high-quality SMC implementation.
Key working relationships:
- Interacts with Malaria Consortium LGA cluster supervisor; Zonal project Manager, SPM, Admin Supply chain Office, Finance Officer, and monitoring and evaluation Officer.
- The LGA Temporary Officer will relate with State Ministry of Health, LGA management team, HFW/supervisors CHWs and community leaders.
Programme Implementation, treatment tracking and management (70%):
- Implement all SMC activities at health LGA level, including timely implementation of work plan, planning meetings, commodity distributions and monitoring to avoid any stock out, Community mobilization activities, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
- Ensure accountability of received commodities and supplies through tracking consumption levels and review of reconciliation reports
- Responsible for capacity building of field partners (Supervisors, HFW, CHWs, and community mobilisers) through training, on-job support and quality supervision.
- Track program targets and timely implement the planned activities to ensure program meets targets and review reports from LGAs and HFW for accuracy and completeness prior to submission.
- Ensure implementation of activities is in line with the laid down protocols, by continuously monitoring and conducting supervision and on-job training of LGA, HFW and CHWs.
- Maintain a good relationship and work jointly with – Public Health Officers and other partners to undertake home visits, meetings and to ensure health LGA’s ownership.
Reporting & data quality control (10%):
- Review all field implementer reports, provide feedback on areas which needs correction and submit the final hard copy report to the LGA Cluster supervisor after LGA Level approval.
- Assist ME Officer on the data quality queries and ensure identified issues are rectified in time.
- Ensure submission of EoC Report, success stories, trip reports etc. to keep the LGA cluster level and Zonal Project Manager abreast with the project implementation at LGA
Coordination and Representation (10%):
- Responsible for overall planning and coordination of LGA and HFW/supervisors and CHWs during training and supervision visits.
- Liaise with key partners including LGA Administrator, State MOH, Community leaders, other stakeholders (as necessary)
- Attend data validation meetings at LGA level and as directed by LGA cluster supervisor /Zonal project manager
- Establish and maintain links with health and other nutrition services with special attention to referral cases
Administrative and other duties (10%):
- Ensure the development of individual and team action plans to ensure role complementarities in achieving the set treatment target.
- Participate in the follow-up of supplies consumption.
- Overall planning of stock levels, making sure that they are sufficient for the operations at SMC sites
- Ensure that all HF realized physical inventory of all SMC commodities supplied at the end of each cycle.
- Any other duties as required by the line manager