Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria m 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
Job Title: Market Assistant
Job Reference Code: MAB3920
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Department: North East Emergency Program
Location: Yobe, Damaturu
Position Band: 3
Reports To: Market Officer
- NE Nigeria has been severely affected by insurgency led by armed opposition groups (AOGs) since 2009 and has been declared to be in a “state of emergency” since 2013. As clashes between Nigerian security forces and AOGs persist into its tenth year, over 2 million individuals remain displaced across the six Northeastern states of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba, and Yobe. Pockets of relative stability have encouraged some households (HHs) to return to their places of origin, yet they remain vulnerable and precariously sensitive to the changing contexts
- Additionally, the prolonged conflict has eroded economic and livelihood opportunities of vulnerable HHs who struggle with limited incomes and purchasing power.
- Since 2016, CRS Nigeria has responded to critical WASH, shelter, food security and nutrition needs in both
- Yobe and Borno States, including through four phases of the USAID office of Food for Peace (USAID/FFP) funded Emergency Food Assistance for Conflict Affected HHs (FFP/EFSP) project. During an anticipated 12-month fifth phase of the project, CRS will scale-up lifesaving support to a total of 15,900 HHs, or 95,400 individuals. CRS’ goal is to improve food security for vulnerable HHs in conflict-affected areas through evouchers for food.
- CRS is looking for a strong candidate to work as a Market Assistant (MA) on the project team
- She/he will be based in Damaturu (Yobe State), and primarily responsible for activities conducted in Kaga Local
- Government Area (LGA), barring significant changes in security dynamics.
- As a member of the FFP/EFSP project team, under the leadership of the Market Officer (MA) and the FFP/EFSP Program Manager (PM), the MA will be responsible for the implementation of daily project activities in her/his geographic location, while maintaining relationships with vendors and beneficiaries.
The MA’s specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Support the coordination and monitoring of project activities at the field level, ensuring implementation; schedules are met as per the detailed activity plan, adhering to systems for quality project implementation;
- Undertake market visits at the point of e-voucher disbursement to ensure that progress is made as per project plan;
- Assist the Market Officer (MO) in e-voucher distribution processes as well as extend support to beneficiaries and vendors, as necessary;
- Facilitate information sharing among the project team, implementing partners, and project beneficiaries at the community level;
- Support the MO to Liaise with various community stakeholders and mobilize them to ensure full involvement of community leaders, community representatives, and local government representatives in the overall implementation and improvement of project activities;
- Ensure that feedback from beneficiaries on project implementation is regularly documented, shared and addressed through the appropriate channel;
- Facilitate and actively engage in data collection activities such as post-distribution monitoring (PDM), price monitoring and ensure that quality standard is maintained where data is collected by market Community Mobilizers (CMs);
- Conduct regular monitoring of project implementation and report on challenges for timely action;
- Provide support during beneficiary identification, registration and verification using standard tools;
- Support MO to ensure community sensitization across all interventions is conducted before evoucher disbursement;
- Assist the market and Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team in evoucher card distribution to project beneficiaries;
- Assist procurement / MEAL officer for identification of vendors and market actors to participate in the e-voucher activities;
- Carryout regular vendor training and refresher activities;
- Compile data produced during field activities as per project requirements and contribute to the preparation of reports.