Save the Children invests in childhood - every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission. Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015. Facts About Nigeria More than 173 Million people live there The average girl stays in school only until she's 9 123 out of 1000 children die before their 5th birthday A parent earns an average of just $4 a day Our Work Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001. We're helping to improve health systems in northern Nigeria to delivery maternal, newborn, and child health services, including the revival of routine immunization.
Job Title: MEAL Officer
Job Type: Contract
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3 - The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The Emergency MEAL Officer will coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better data management systems for the core program
- He/she provides technical support and training to the field staffs, participates to the roll out of the accountability framework and contributes to internal knowledge building. Provide support to implementing partners and program staff to systematically measure progress in the implementation
- She/he will provide a framework through which these measurements (M&E data) are fed back to those involved in the running of the various component of the project and ensure that the information can support and guide the decisions of the management team to improve the quality and impact the program operations.
Scope of Role
Reports to: MEAL Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: TBD
Key Areas of Accountability
Key Responsibilities for M&E:
- Liaise with the MEAL Coordinator for the development and implementation of an M&E Plan for the Sector and provide MEAL related support to the sector.
- Develop data capture tools for beneficiary identification and registration and distribution register
- Provide community organizations, implementing partners and save the Children staff with clear and simple instructional sheets for each data collection tool and trained/provide regular coaching to relevant staffs and other stakeholders on data quality and the use of the data collection tools.
- In consultation with education sector lead, design and develop program database, IPTT and regularly update database for the sector.
- Update M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Contribute to the revision of monitoring and evaluation tools and train program team on design and proper use of it.
- Organize learning events and document lesson learn/findings of PDM, CPA, field monitoring visit with education sector and develop learning paper with action plan and timeline.
- Conduct regular field visits to track progress against indicators and put in place systems for routine data quality checks and validations
- Provide project related figures and conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data; Verify entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues;
- Respect schedules and deadlines agreed upon with his/her Manager.
- Lead the coordination of field data collection and the flow of reports from the field to the management team and provide regular feedbacks to field workers and key stakeholders of progress in program implementations.
- With support from the MEAL Coordinator and MEAL Manager, establish and maintain project level information management system.
- Actively participate in M&E meetings with key stakeholders. Take part in diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys;
- Report back any problems and constraints encountered during the course of the activities and suggest operational solutions.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly progress reports and statistics as well as mid-/final reports to stakeholders
- Advise and put in place a system for promoting transparency and accountability of plan for stakeholders.
- Conduct Post Distribution Monitoring, Child Participatory Activities for the project and Field monitoring visit to project locations.
- Data analysis and writing of monitoring and evaluation reports e.g. analyse PDM/CPA data and produce reports
- Take part in the recruitment of enumerators and survey consultants;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.