Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Officer
Job ID: 20000090
Job: Program Management
Job Type: Full-time
Employee Status: Entry Level
Job Level: Day Job
CRS Nigeria has been awarded the Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) – Nigeria. This program seeks to develop and implement interventions that will sustainably increase women participation and production of poultry in Borno and Adamawa states by addressing challenges to poultry production and contribute to creation of livestock employment opportunities to improve participants’ living conditions. The specific purpose is to enable 7,000 vulnearble families- particularly female-headed households increase their income by producing and selling poultry and poulty products. This effort will contribute to CRS’ agriculture and livelihoods signature program area and ongoing efforts to promote resilience, recovery and development within Nigeria and neighboring countries around the Lake Chad Basin. Additional project details are contained in the table below:
- The MEAL Officer will lead monitoring and evaluation of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) – Nigeria-funded Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project.
- Under the direction of the Program Manager II, the MEAL Officer will be responsible for all MEAL related activities for GIZ Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project implemented by CRS in northeast Nigeria, including, but not limited to: designing MEAL systems, leading SMILER processes, monitoring progress on project indicators, elaboration of M&E tools, conducting needs/market/post activity assessments, beneficiary database management, recalibration of beneficiary targeting at project mid-point, development and implementation of accountability mechanism as well as compilation of monthly, bi-monthly,quarterly reports and annual reports.
- The MEAL Officer will be based in Mubi with frequent trips to project areas and will report to the Program Manager in Mubi, working closely with the Program Manager II in Yola and Country MEAL Coordinator, based in Abuja, .
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Design and manage Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning system through providing high-quality technical support and leading the recovery MEAL team
- Facilitate to design and conduct of MEAL surveys including PDMs, evaluation, baselines and others related to the project; in close consultation with the recovery and resilience program and MEAL staff
- Develop or adapt project specific MEAL tools and carry out field testing where necessary.
- Track donor and CRS reporting requirements and deadlines and provide MEAL information to Program Managers for drafting reports.
- Determine role of all actors involved in providing technical support to project monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure consistency of standards, harmonization of information and input from beneficiaries and sharing of learnings.
- Maintain the project database and supervise related matters
- Facilitate to perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of data for project requirements
- Verify data for completeness, correctness and consistency and follow up on any data/program quality issues.
- Lead regular MEAL field visits to collect data with the help of partners, assess the application of MEAL tools, and assist in preparation of monthly/quarterly report to donors and CRS office.
- Identify bottlenecks in the program MEAL systems, recommend appropriate solutions and ensure follow-through.
- Promote the use of Information Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) solutions throughout the project or digital data collection.
- Ensure regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring further attention; (3) define action needed and assign responsibility and deadlines- are conducted and prepare report.
- Ensure that the cross-cutting themes such as gender and protection are integrated in the partners’ and in the project’s MEAL plans and systems.
- Ensure ethical and safe collection and storage of data.
- Lead the development and implementation of feedback and response channels to reflect the preferences of community members and beneficiaries of the project
- Coordinate and support emergency response for accountability specific requirements including accountability needs for distributions interventions
- Facilitate to orient program staff and partners on the basic principles and practices of beneficiary accountability.
- Ensure that beneficiary feedback is adequately analyzed and documented.
- Ensure that all sensitive and not sensitive cases are channeled (including documentation) according to the framework with a high level of confidentiality and neutrality
- Coordinate closely with program manager for accountability related cases that involves gender and protection issues and documentation
- Identify, document, store and share lessons learned (this includes success story too) that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice.
- Conduct and document end of project learning reviews and share learning with stakeholders.
- Liaise with the PM, Country Coordinator MEAL lead and Program Manager II to carry out needs assessments and initial evaluations to inform proposal development Supervision
- Provide quality mentoring and coaching to JDPC MEAL staff and ensure that coaching and performance plans are completed on time and with adherence to CRS talent management quality standards.
- Together with the Country MEAL Coordinator and Program Manager II, identify capacity building needs for staff/partners.
- Support training events organized by CRS for staff and/or partners, including project reflections, learning assessments, planning and facilitation guides.