Job Title: Medical Doctor Supervisor
Location: Anka – Zamfara
Job Type: Indefinite Period
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients / beneficiary’s health conditions.
- Assist management of the medical activities in the hospital
Description of the Responsibilities/Activities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures Professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient’s illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- ZSHCP is project with activities in pediatric ward of the Anka General Hospital with 95 beds (additional 40 beds in malaria peak or during outbreaks), nutrition program, seasonal malaria response, outpatient mobile clinic in IDP camp and outreach activities focused on prevention and treatment of lead poisoning. Due to the dynamic and volatile security context, the outreach activities and most of the Ambulatory Therapeutic Feeding Centers are being managed remotely. The main morbidities here include Malnutrition, Malaria and Infectious Diseases.
- The medical doctor supervisor will be working in the project in close collaboration with the Medical Activities Manager (MAM), MD pediatrician and the national staff doctors to ensure quality medical services primarily in the inpatient department. Providing administrative support to the MAM.
- Ensure to transmit relevant information coming from project leadership to medical doctor team and ensuring adherence to MSF standard practices and policies. Likewise, be a focal person for representation of all medical doctors in meetings to raise professional medical challenges and concerns coming from medical doctors including proposed solutions.
- Follow up with the team of medical doctors on the adherence to latest protocols and guidelines or advice coming from relevant MSF referents.
- Support MAM for the supervision of the medical doctors in the hospital and report any key challenges and concerns and discuss with MAM.
- Assist MAM in training needs assessment of medical doctors and where needed provide or assist in providing relevant trainings on different issues to medical staff.
- Coordinate all referrals and their follow up including referrals made to AGH from different outreach sites and from AGH to Gusau. Once decided by physicians for the case to refer ensure to liaise with different departments to implement the referral as per policy.
- Collect systematically data for referrals and document. After follow up of the patients in the referral hospitals provide feedback to treating physicians who have referred the case,
- Identify weaknesses in referral system and discuss with MAM and propose solutions for improvement.
- Responsible for staff planning for MDs (rosters, leaves etc.) and ensure that gaps are covered.
- Arrange the monthly roster of the medical doctors, coordinate and monitor the daily working plan of the team in correlation with MAM (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves …).
- Replaces a doctor if necessary and participates in shifts.
- Identify work load (increase/decrease) in different departments or areas and discuss options with MAM for efficient use of resources.
Data management and reporting:
- MD supervisor follows up on day-to-day quality data collection in the appropriate way in the paediatric ward of Anka General Hospital and communicates challenges on data to MAM. (S)/he effectively contributes to monthly reporting in terms of understanding context and contributing this to the narrative for the hospital of the various departments – vaccination, IPD and ITFC, analysis of inpatient mortality and ensure all deaths are timely encoded in the HIS.
- Participates in the monthly reports according to guidelines (i.e. mortality/morbidity review, referral review etc.)
- ZSHCP is project with activities in pediatric ward of the Anka General Hospital with 95 beds (additional 40 beds in malaria peak or during outbreaks), nutrition program, seasonal malaria response, outpatient mobile clinic in IDP camp and outreach activities focused on prevention and treatment of lead poisoning.
- Due to the dynamic and volatile security context, the outreach activities and most of the Ambulatory Therapeutic Feeding Centers are being managed remotely. The main morbidities here include Malnutrition, Malaria and Infectious Diseases.
Drug/medical supply management:
- Analyses the hospital consumption weekly and presents this to the MD pediatrician for action, prepare the Medical order, participate in the TSR analysis and deeply involved in the forecasting exercise.
- First responsible for national staff health, following up on absences and leave days up to 3 days.
- Collaborate with MTL and MoH for facilitating immunization activities for an understandable coverage. Ensures patients visiting MSF clinics are vaccinated and report this in the Medical report on weekly or monthly basis.
- Actively participate in project strategy meetings and plans
- Support and participate actively in disease outbreak investigations/ surveillance at the project site.
- Participle in disease outbreak response in the mission when called upon.
- Replace/cover Medical Activities Manager (MAM) when necessary together with the MD pediatrician.