For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 46 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
Job Title: Mental Health Psychosocial Support Counselor
Line Manager: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Supervisor
Length of contract: 6 months
Possibility for extension: yes
Under the supervision of Mental Health Supervisor, the Mental health Psychosocial Support Counsellor will be responsible for the following main activities in order to ensure the quality of care in the mobile clinics:
- Contribute to the implementation of the overall mental health and psychosocial support strategies, activities and resources in Damboa.
- Facilitate the delivery of a quality mental health & psychosocial support (MHPSS) for individuals and their communities as well as to improve Communities mental health and psychosocial well-being.
- Contribute to the integration of MHPSS component into existing and new programs according to HQ Mental Health Strategy
- Supervise and provide technical follow-up to MdM MHPSS staff in Maiduguri
- Deliver one-on-one (Individual) and group counselling sessions to identified clients through MDM Clinics, and in line with MDM integrated approach
- Develop psychosocial activities; community mobilization, awareness raising, creation of family support group, working on family links etc.
- Support MH Coord in delivering training, workshops etc as outlined in the project.
- Support in the creation of materials including publicity documents, workshops contents.
- Engage with the community to deliver and promote MDM MHPSS project activities in the designated locations.
- Assist in writing monthly, quarterly, annual reports, monitoring and evaluation activity and progress reports of project activities including monthly reporting to the MHPSS Coordinator.
- On request support MH Coord in specific tasks
- Maintain a positive image of MDM at all times and in all circumstances.
- Contribute to weekly / monthly activities reports to line manager (Mental Health Supervisor)
- Report to the direct supervisor monthly (mental health activities report to be sent in the first week of the month).
- Apply and respect MDM security rules in the mission.
- Maintain good socio-professional relationships with national and international partners.
- Attend team meetings and to give qualitative input.
- If necessary, contribute in preparing emergency plans with the MDM-F team to adjust MDM-F activities and medical resources to the needs.
- Take part in advocacy and communication activities under the supervision of his/her supervisor.
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Mental Health Supervisor and Mental Health Coordinator.
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Supervisor
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem