Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Supervisor (MHPSS) Counsellor
Location: Maiduguri , Borno
- Under the supervision of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Supervisor the MHPSS counsellor provides psychosocial and/or psychological interventions in an individual or group format.
- The MHPSS Counsellor will liaise with the mental health team (MHPSS Supervisor and MHPSS Counsellors) on the implementation of MHPSS interventions and activities, more specifically.
- Deliver one-on-one (Individual) and group counselling sessions to identified clients within MdM Clinics, and in line with MdM integrated approach
- Develop psychosocial activities; community mobilization, awareness raising, and any other related activity requested by MHPSS Supervisor.
- Support MHPSS Supervisor in delivering training or workshops
- Support in the creation of materials including publicity documents.
- Engage with the community to deliver and promote MDM MHPSS project activities in the designated locations.
- Assist in writing monthly, quarterly, annual reports, monitoring and evaluation activity and progress reports of project activities including monthly reporting to the MHPSS Supervisor.
- Assist in the implementation of preventive MHPSS interventions at the community and PHC level.
- Coordinate referrals
Provide MHPSS consultations within PHC setting:
- Provide individual or group consultations to beneficiaries presenting in PHC or referred and in need of MH interventions
- Assist in the identification of psycho-social needs and proposition needed interventions in collaboration with the mental health team and PHC staff
- Weekly reporting activities and data collection
- Coordinate with MHPSS supervisor on cases requiring higher level interventions
Provide psycho-social support for mental health beneficiaries:
- Work directly with MHPSS Supervisor to develop individualized treatment plans for MH beneficiaries
- In coordination with community mobilizers use participatory methods to adapt activities in accordance to the needs of the different target groups (children, women etc)
Community mental health interventions:
- Participate in defining effective and culturally appropriate approaches and interventions on the community level
- Focus on information dissemination and collecting opinions to foster knowledge and self-care practices for communities in areas of intervention
- Initiate and facilitate group interventions
Analysis, detection and reduction of risk factors influencing the mental health status at community level:
- In collaboration with the mental health team, explore and detect potential risk factors influencing mental health status of the target population
- Coordinate with other actors concerned to reduce and/or eliminate potential risk factors.
- Any other related MDM tasks as assigned by the MHPSS Supervisor or MHPSS Coordinator
- Under the guidance of MHPSS Supervisor and MHPSS Coordinator support in the collection of information related to behaviors of the community to reinforce quality of MHPSS services
- Collaborate and participate, in any field survey, data collection and/or needs assessment organized by MDM in relation to MHPSS
- Participation in MDM internal meetings, trainings and individual meetings with the MHPSS Supervisor or MHPSS Coordinator
- The activities may change based on the changing context
- To inform immediately security focal point in the case of any security problem.
- Note: This job description is not exhaustive and the staff member may be asked from time to time to perform duties over and above those described here. The staff member is also expected to maintain confidentiality of all beneficiaries and internal information at all times.