Save the Children invests in childhood - every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission. Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015. Facts About Nigeria More than 173 Million people live there The average girl stays in school only until she's 9 123 out of 1000 children die before their 5th birthday A parent earns an average of just $4 a day Our Work Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001. We're helping to improve health systems in northern Nigeria to delivery maternal, newborn, and child health services, including the revival of routine immunization.
Job Title: MNCH + Nutrition Advisor
Job Number: 20000356
Location: Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel to implementing States
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
Breakthrough ACTION (BA) is a five-year cooperative agreement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead USAID’s social and behavior change (SBC) programming around the world. Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria (BA/N) focuses on malaria; maternal, newborn, and child health including nutrition (MNCH+N); family planning (FP); and tuberculosis (TB); and increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality SBC programming.
BA/N will collaborate closely with the relevant USAID service delivery and commodities implementation partners from the outset to ensure seamless coordination between supply, demand, and quality of services. BA/N will work at the national level and in 11 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Three states will implement an integrated SBC approach, seven states will implement a malaria-only SBC approach, and FCT will implement an FP-only SBC approach.
The MNCH+Nutrition Advisor will provide technical leadership and advice to other programme staff on the Breakthrough-Action project, staff in the programme states and Ministry of Health officials at state and LGA level in the area of MNCH+ Nutrition. Within the project, the MNCH+N Advisor reports to the Deputy Director-Integrated SBC.
S/he is responsible for will provide technical inputs on MNCH+N related issues both at the Abuja level and state levels. They will also assist operational planning and implementation and provide technical assistance to the BA-N state teams on MNCH+N issues. S/he works closely with the various teams within the BA-N Abuja office including the Capacity and Sustainability Team, the SBC and Innovations Team, the Monitoring and Quality Assurance Team, as well as the BA-N state teams in Bauchi, Kebbi, and Sokoto.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Administratively, this position reports up through the Save the Children structure, specifically to the Head of Nutrition
- However, on a day-to-day basis this position is located within the BA-Nigeria office, and reports to his/ her designated line manager as per the BA-Nigeria office structure.
- Staff directly reporting to this post: none
- Under the supervision of the DPD-Integrated SBC and supported by the Head of Nutrition, provide technical assistance to the BA-N team on planning, coordination, training, and monitoring and evaluation of programme activities related to social and behaviour change on MNCH+Nutrition within BA-N’s Integrated SBC strategic approach.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with Government actors supporting MNCH+Nutrition efforts at National, State and LGA levels.
- Provide technical assistance to the State level government counterparts to build their capacity to implement SBC for MNCH+Nutrition.
- Participate in meetings, seminars, debriefings and MNCH+Nutrition related events.
- Write and contribute to reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required by the project, and case studies, and lessons learned etc.
- Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies related to MNCH+Nutrition.
- Support the work of consultants in the States as needs arise.
- Represent Breakthrough Action at national level meetings.
- Prepare and present presentations for review and planning meetings or any relevant programme dissemination events.
- Provide mentoring and capacity building for programme teams in the BA-N Abuja HQ and state level offices and for implementing partners in relation to social and behaviour change for MNCH+Nutrition.
- Support State level staff to prepare, implement, follow up and monitor plans for all capacity building efforts and to organise programme activities related to MNCH+Nutrition.
- Reach out to stakeholders implementing MNCH+Nutrition interventions at the State level and promote coordination.
- Collaborate, coordinate and exchange best practices and lessons learned with other MNCH+Nutrition related projects implemented by Save the Children in the country and globally.
- Ensure that project activities are in line with the local law and international standards, laws, and policies, in all activities