Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL) is a public health and development consulting firm established by a team with extensive experience in international development and public health programming. We provide technical assistance for health system reforms towards access to cost-effective and quality health care across Nigeria and the continent of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Advisor - The Global Fund’s Catalytic Health System Investment Programme
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports to: Project Manager
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Expected Duration of Assignment: 18 months
The Nigerian health system is weak and unresponsive as a result of years of grappling with poor infrastructure, inadequate equipment and technology, inadequate number and mix of healthcare workers, poor capacity of health sector stakeholders, poor information management/sharing mechanisms and under investment by the government. Against this backdrop, the country struggles in the move towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC). As many countries continue to progress towards the achievement of UHC goals, sustainable mechanisms for financing healthcare, improvements in human resources for health management and budget processes for health as well as strengthening systems for health accounts have been identified as crucial.
The Global Fund’s Catalytic Health System Investment Programme for prioritised states in Nigeria including Kaduna, Imo and Oyo clearly identifies a number of key interventions to strengthen health systems in the focus states. These interventions include amongst others:
- Strengthen public financial management (PFM) capacity of the Ministries of Health in Kaduna, Imo and Oyo to develop, execute and advocate for realistic and evidence-based spending on health in line with international best practices;
- Conduct necessary actuarial analysis and roll-out/support of state health insurance schemes;
- Assess Health Labour Market; and,
- Carry out and update state health accounts.
- The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)Advisor will Lead efforts to monitor and evaluate project interventions, document results and provide feedback to stakeholders to inform decision-making.
Summary of Key Functions
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) to capture project performance and results, including routine service delivery data reporting, baseline and end line assessments, and all monitoring for process and outcome evaluations
- Support pre-implementation assessments (budget study, HLMA and SHA) including design, data collection, management and analysis
- Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures, including routine data quality audits
- Ensure relevant data is entered into available performance management systems designed to capture, analyse, and disseminate project data
- Develop and oversee data flow pattern for the program that will ensure timely data collection and reporting
- Provide written documentation on MEL activities and indicator results for progress and annual reports, as appropriate.
- Provide leadership and direction on MEL to ensure the program achieves its goals and corresponding objectives and targets
- Lead efforts to monitor and evaluate project interventions, document results and provide feedback to stakeholders to guide decision-making
- Lead efforts to utilize training monitoring systems to track and monitor trainers and participants at training events
- Lead operational research activities to generate evidence and lessons learned from implementation and support revision of implementation strategy based on results from operational research activities
- Promote and support the dissemination of project information among the project team
- Work with project and financial staff to prepare and track progress of project and activity budgets
- Coordinate all MEL capacity-building activities with project staff, implementing partners and facility staff
- Monitor implementation of project workplan and trackdeliverables