United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Programme Specialist for Strategic Policy and Inclusive Economic Growth (SPIEG)
Job ID: 26502
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Practice Area - Job Family: Poverty Reduction - STRATEGIC POLICY
- The National Programme Specialist manages the UNDP SPIEG portfolio in the Nigeria Country office in line with the current Country Programme Document (CPD 2018-2022) and UNDP Corporate Plan, the country’s overall development framework and other relevant regional and international development frameworks such as SDGs. The incumbent also managerial oversight over the design, implementation and monitoring and reporting on UNDP Inclusive Growth portfolio working closely with Environment and Governance programme portfolios.
- He/she works as Programme Manager for all Inclusive Growth unit will provides strategic oversight on interventions aimed at promoting sustainable development by supporting interventions at national and sub-national level aimed to promote implementation of inclusive growth strategies to promote economic growth and job creation while ensuring greater programme coherence between interventions aimed at advancing economic transformation and those promoting environmental sustainability and democratic governance, peace and security.
- The National Programme Specialist will cover a broad range of programmatic issues ranging from participation in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the CPD and UNSPF, joint programming and others UNDP projects and programmes thematic areas assigned to the Unit in addition to supporting program evaluations and monitoring and reporting in line with corporate requirements and standards. He/she advices the country office senior management team on creative partnerships and responses to emerging complex challenges with a view to increasing programme effectiveness and impacts as well as to promote harmonization and alignment with the CPD and corporate plan.
- Under the overall guidance of the DRR (Programme) and the direct supervision of the SPIEG Unit Team Leader, the National Programme Specialist contributes to programme development, substantive monitoring and evaluation, advocacy, partnerships development and management, and results-based management of multi-thematic programmes in all areas covered by the Unit. The National Programme Specialist will support the programme team in strategic planning and identify new programme areas while ensuring consistency with UNSDPF/CPD priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities.
- To that end, the National Programme Specialist will work in close collaboration with the Programme Pillars, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme. Within the country office, the National Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the Operations team, the Programme Management and Support Unit (PMSU), and the Sub-Office coordinating UNDP’s interventions in Northeast Nigeria and other states to foster teamwork and attainment of country office performance goals and targets.
- The National Programme Specialist is also responsible for providing supervision of staff in the SPIEG team and fostering cross-unit cooperation and coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP SPIEG Unit programmes
- Management of the CO Inclusive SPIEG programme, and supervision of the Inclusive SPIEG teams and directing their efforts to achieve corporate and CO strategic goals and results;
- Fostering strategic partnerships to enhance programme collaboration and resource mobilization efforts;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management and sharing of best practices.
As a member of the CO programme team, the National Programme Specialist ensures strategic direction of country programme activities relevant to his/her portfolio from programme design through implementation, monitoring and evaluation. The National Programme Specialist leads the UNDP programme portfolio with the following expected results:
- Analyzes and keeps abreast of the country’s political and socio-economic environment as well as UNDP policies and priorities in the areas assigned and identifies and proposes areas for UNDP support in line with national priorities and UNDP strategic areas of focus and comparative advantages;
- Identifies key substantive/analytical linkages with other areas of focus within the Country Programme.
- Provides analysis of political, social and economic context in the country and collaborates with others to support the preparation/revision of UNSDPF/CPD, AWP and other key documents;
- Operationalizes the UNSDF/CPD/AWP in collaboration with main partners (both governmental and non-governmental) and other UN Agencies;
- Regular liaison and partnerships building and management with National and sub national authorities, Nigerian institutions, CSOs and International community relevant to the CO portfolio.
- Leads/coordinates the SPIEG programme Unit in programme formulation and networking to ensure a programme which is relevant innovative and responsive to changes in the country context;
- Support the Team to ensure a visible, dynamic SPIEG programme which positions UNDP as one of the key SDG accelerator and poverty reduction agencies in the country.
- Ensures the SPIEG programme is designed with gender sensitivity fully incorporated and Human Rights Based Approach.
- Provides support and inputs to CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
Ensure effective management of the UNDP programme and close and quality Programme Monitoring and Evaluation of programmes in areas concerning Inclusive Growth and Innovation and supervision of the team, focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to on achievement of the following results:
- Works closely with the SPIEG programme staff to assist in monitoring ongoing projects substantively through review of work-plans, progress and performance, evaluation missions and proposes directions and solutions to emerging issues;
- Ensures effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Provide strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Ensures effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Through constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, ensures timely readjustment of programme.
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions investigates anomalies or unusual transactions, and put in place necessary corrective actions. Informs supervisors of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Provides guidance in the implementation of advocacy of thematic programme.
- Facilitates any NIM/NEX audit process, arranges for the management response to audit recommendations and timely carries out the recommendations.
- Carries out regular field monitoring visits, reports back on findings and recommendations, ensures the timely implementation of the recommendations to build the capacity of the implementing partners.
Establish and maintain strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes;
- Ensure effective creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on the Nigeria UNSDPF, CPD and donors’ priorities.
- Supporting outreach, communication and advocacy activities for all project and programmes.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing
- Advocates for UNDP with government counterparts, donor community, international financial institutions and the UN
Ensure facilitation to knowledge building and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Systematic recording of best practices and lessons learnt in the areas assigned;
- Coordination of internal and external reviews and evaluations;
- Organization and facilitation of training for the other staff on Inclusive Growth and Innovation related issues.
- Identifies communications and knowledge management products to be regularly produced with high quality content standards.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme within specific areas of cooperation and reaching UNSDPF/CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
- The results of the work of the National Programme Specialist greatly impact on the standing and reputation of UNDP in the country.