For over 35 years, the humanitarian aid organization SOLIDARITÃ‰S INTERNATIONAL has been committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter. After providing emergency aid, our humanitarian teams accompany the most vulnerable families and communities until they recover their livelihoods and self-sufficiency, to enable them to deal with the challenges of an uncertain future with dignity. SOLIDARITÃ‰S INTERNATIONAL is particularly committed to fighting water-related diseases, the primary cause of death in the world today. Drawing on their expertise, our teams develop and carry out aid programs in the fields of water, sanitation and hygiene, as well as in the essential domains of food security and reconstruction. In 2014, SOLIDARITÃ‰S INTERNATIONAL teams, comprising 188 international and 1742 national employees. The association is directed by Jean-Yves Troy. Founded by Alain Boinet and presided by Edouard Lagourgue, SOLIDARITÃ‰S INTERNATIONAL is a non-profit organisation under the French 1901 charities law. An annual general meeting is held each year, and the charity has a Board of Governors and a steering committee.
Job Title: Nigeria - WASH Coordinator
Desired start date: ASAP**
Duration of the mission: **1 year
Nigeria has been going through an acute political and military crisis for years, which has affected millions of lives. Solidarités International (SI) has been answering the needs of displaced populations, as well as host communities in the Borno State for almost 4 years. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. 7 programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul
- Logistic Platform project in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response on all 4 Borno bases
- Emergency WASH in Health in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala
To learn more about what we do in Nigeria, please click here.
More than 220 people (approx. 200 Nigerian staff and 20 international staff) are working on the Nigeria mission today. They are operating from 5 different locations:
- Liaison office: Abuja.
- Coordination office: Maiduguri.
- Operational bases: Maiduguri, Monguno, NGala and Dikwa.
The mission has a forecasted budget of more than EUR 11M. Europaid, ECHO, OFDA, CDC and the UN (NHF, WFP) currently fund it. SI is confident in the mission’s potential to grow in the upcoming years.
You’ll join one of the last humanitarian actors still operating in the area – thus remaining faithful to its mission: taking aid further.
ABOUT THE JOB
WHY WE NEED YOU
Water supply and sanitation are the 2 major emergency WASH expertise needed for this job. More specifically, you will help more than 250 000 beneficiaries by:
- Providing health and nutrition centres with water treatment and purification and sanitation infrastructures
- Construction and rehabilitation of deep and shallow boreholes and other water points
- Construction and rehabilitation of latrines and showers
- Hygiene promotion and hygiene kits distribution activities
- Emergency water trucking
As the head of the WASH department, you will:
- Be the lead on the WASH strategy for the mission
- Guarantee the relevancy and the quality of the WASH projects
- Proactively attend meeting with external bodies
- Manage your team: provide supervision, guidance, capacity building.
As you will be based in Maiduguri, the job involves remote management, as well as regular visits to the field bases when relevant and allowed.
Please note that this is an expatriate position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
To successfully complete your mission, you will:
- Design strategic orientations
Work on the sector-based strategy, support the DCD-P, and be responsible for the monitoring and analysis of the WASH sector.
- Staff management
1 direct line report + functional manager for several WASH PM
- Ensure the relevance and quality of the WASH projects
Evaluation missions, validation of technical approaches, respect of SI’s procedures, financial validations.
- Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
KPIs definition and monitoring, tools monitoring, updates and improvement, technical and methodological support, activities adaptation.
Liaise with the technical advisors in HQ: tools, methods, network.
- Carry representation, reporting & communication activities
Relationships with authorities, communication with the coordination.
- You’ll be part of the program team, which is led by a Deputy Country Director for Programs, and is made of a Cholera task force department, an FSL department, a WASH department, a MEAL department, a Grants management department.
- You’ll also work on a regular basis with the support services team, which includes a finance department, an HR department and a logistics department.
- You’ll be under the direct management of the DCD-P, who has been working with SI for a while now.
You’ll also be in touch regularly with your desk in HQ, whose members are here to provide frameworks, support and advice.