Nurse – Temporary Appointment
Job ID: 29848
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – Emergency Response
Vacancy Type: TA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 06 months
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic and its significant spread in Nigeria has brought about this urgent need for nurses to work with the Dispensary Physician to work at the Isolation facility which has been operative for some days now.
- Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: These temporary positions are located at headquarters (OHRM), the Regional Commissions and field medical facilities, including those UN Clinics administered by UNDP. Depending on their location, they report to the Head Nurse, UN Health Manager if applicable.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Nurse at this level will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers.
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate, documents case findings.
- Assist to the medical officer on the management, organization and coordination of the fever clinic, including isolation ward, etc at the duty station.
- Assist the medical officer in the follow up and tracking of the positive cases and close contacts
- Performs point of care diagnostic and screening tests.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic; provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs; participates in work environment assessment with special emphasis to the prophylaxis of the relevant diseases of the outbreak,
- Assists Head Nurse in all her/his activities as required.
- In the UN Clinics administered by UNDP and Regional commission acts as Head Nurse.
- Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized.
- Ensures proper filing of medical and other records.
- Evaluates, orders and maintains an efficient inventory and stock control of medications/vaccines and other medical supplies and equipment.
- Assumes all supervisory and medico-administrative duties of the Head Nurse in her absence.
- In the case of the Regional Commissions and the UN Clinics administered by UNDP, acts as Head Nurse and supervises the work of other nurses.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Staff across the Organization
- Personnel in office of Staff Counsellor
- Security officers
- Physicians and nurses outside the UN
- Representatives of pharmaceutical/medical supply companies.
- Delegates and NGO Representatives
- Insurance Providers
- Assists in the implementation of preventive and medical actions and responses related to disease outbreak crisis.
- Provides quality nursing services that contribute to good physical and mental health of the staff of the Organisation.