Helen Keller International (HKI) - Established in 1915, is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States.
HKI implements integrated package of cost-effective interventions that are proven to improve maternal and child nutrition. HKI supports policies and programs on food fortification, vitamin A supplementation, infant and young child feeding, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, community-based management of acute malnutrition and prevention and treatment of neglected tropical diseases. At the core of HKI’s programs is advocacy and social behavior change communication to various stakeholders. HKI also undertakes cutting-edge research to influence policy decisions and inform program quality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Program Officer
Reports to: Head of Nutrition Programs
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Program Manager, the Nutrition Program Officer implements, monitors and evaluate HKI Nigeria’s nutrition programs and projects in accordance with national protocols and policies.
- Liaise with the nutrition unit of the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) or State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDA) to develop costed nutrition strategic work-plans.
- Support the state in advocating for timely allocation and release of funds to implement the bi-annual Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks.
- Support training of health personnel at State, LGA and Ward levels and facilitate training of independent monitors prior to the VAS campaign
- Provide technical assistance to and support implementation of nationwide bi-annual VAS through Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks.
- Analyze, interpret and present program data in useful formats and disseminate findings to relevant stakeholders to promote timely decision making and course correction
- Work closely with the State to conduct yearly Post Events Coverage Surveys after the VAS campaign, analyze results and share findings with relevant stakeholders for course correction during subsequent campaigns
- Maintain regular communication with other state nutrition program partners
- Facilitate program planning and review meetings on vitamin A supplementation
- Collaborate with partners to develop /roll out IEC / SBCC strategies and tools to support nutrition programs
- Actively participate in key relevant national and state level nutrition technical forums
- Work closely with State Nutrition Officers to strengthen technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of technical program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Participate in research to increase VAS coverage and other nutrition interventions
- Support the capacity building of nutrition program officers on relevant nutrition interventions
- Support the implementation of other relevant nutrition activities such as healthy lifestyle project, infant and young child feeding e.t.c.
- Perform any other duty as assigned.