FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve - improving lives for millions.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Requisition Id: 2019201232
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervisor: Chief of Party
Job Type: Full time
- Reporting to the Project Director, the highly versatile position of Operation Manager will be responsible for leading and supporting a variety of cross-cutting functions among departments on the Addressing Education in Northeast Nigeria (AENN) Project.
- AENN is a three-year, USAID-funded program operating in Borno and Yobe states.
- The Operations Manager will ensure and improve upon the efficiency of the project’s implementation, internal operating procedures, among other tasks.
- The position will require significant daily coordination among departments, state offices, and the FHI 360 Country Office and will be responsible for directly overseeing operations and procurement staff located in Maiduguri and Damaturu
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and guidance to all operations and procurement staff through supervision and by clearly identifying key roles and responsibilities, setting individual target objectives, giving constructive performance feedback, and ensuring the right tools, training, and resources are in place for success.
- Develop and implement inter-departmental strategic and improvement plans to strengthen efficiency in activity planning, compliance with donor regulations, and adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Liaise with the FHI 360 Country Office to ensure consistent and clear communications on operational activities, IT, and employee relations under the guidance of the Project Director. Assist in planning the use of human resources.
- In coordination with the Country Office, oversee placement of required staff as well as conduct new hire orientations.
- Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals; formulate and implement departmental, and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output.
- Oversee inventory control and fleet management in conjunction with the Finance Department and Admin Officer.
- Manage security protocols and plans in coordination with the AENN state offices, the Country Office, and headquarters, ensuring that plans are routinely updated and shared with project staff and partners.
- Oversee and monitor all project-related travel arrangements within Nigeria with support from administrative staff.
- Spearhead state and Abuja office relocations as appropriate and oversee the administrative and operational aspects of the project close-out in 2021 to ensure compliance with donor and organizational protocols.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge in all current organizational operations policies and guidelines, including enforcing corporate messages and initiatives.
- Assist implementing partner organizations by providing interpretations of USAID and FHI 360 guidelines as they relate to operations and procurement policies.
- In collaboration with the project Compliance Officer, liaise with the FHI 360’s Office of Compliance and Internal Audit to provide necessary documentation and/or answers to questions arising from internal and external reviews or audits.
- Ensure appropriate operational input and support is provided to program staff and other involved parties during the preparation of their activity budgets and costed work plans.
- Work with procurement as well as technical staff to ensure the correct procedures are followed in the purchase of goods and services and that actions are conducted in a highly efficient manner by promoting proper planning well in advance of upcoming activities.
- Interact regularly with project leadership to provide updates on the organization’s implementation/operations status and resolve any problems or issues associated with operations.
- Engage the COP and technical leaders in all aspects of operations planning and management to ensure the project’s strategic objectives are well understood to deliver anticipated results.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Director, Finance, review project spending vs. budget regularly to maintain expenditure controls aligning budgets to technical and operational activities.
- Provide training and support to program staff and partners on policies, procedures, and requirements relating to operations issues.
- Other related duties as assigned or deemed necessary by the Chief of Party.