United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Partnerships Analyst
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 3 years
Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Job ID: 28578
Practice Area Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery - Stabilization
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: External
- Millions of civilians continue to grapple with extreme adversity across north-east Nigeria and the rest of the Lake Chad region where a recent surge in violence has uprooted tens of thousands more people, exacerbating an already dire crisis situation. An intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. It is unlikely that security responses alone will be sufficient to address the complex factors that gave rise to the insurgency, and which continues to sustain it. There is increasing consensus that military efforts must be coupled with significant investments in complementary stabilization activities to benefit the local population with both local and Lake Chad Basin (LCB) regional levels, if the security-humanitarian-development nexus around Lake Chad is to be effectively addressed.
- While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. To this end, UNDP has launched Lake Chad Basin Regional Stabilization Facility, supporting four Lake Chad Basin countries (i.e., Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, and Chad) as well as LCB regional institutions, such as the Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC).
- The Facility will act as a rapid-response package– delivering within 90 days of target area selection – that relevant authorities can sequence with military operations as necessary, to ensure immediate follow-up in specific locations and curtail the ability of armed opposition groups to re-infiltrate and exploit any security vacuum or community perceptions of non-responsive Government by extending an organized and effective civilian security umbrella, consolidating military progress with development ‘dividends’ for the local population.
- The National Window of the Regional Stabilization Facility for Nigeria aims to address the needs of immediate stabilization in the target areas in North-East Region of Nigeria with high degrees of insecurity, promoting the phased transition of insecure areas toward greater security, and the reduction of current volatility whereby previously secure areas have become more rather than less vulnerable.
- It is expected that various donors, such as Germany, Sweden, the UK and the EU, will make their financial contribution to the Regional Stabilization Facility. Given the extremely complicated crisis situations in the North East (NE) region of Nigeria and the LCB region as a whole, establishment and maintenance of effective donor relations is indispensable for successful implementation of the Regional Stabilization Facility and UNDP’s projects in North East Region of Nigeria. To this end, UNDP Nigeria is seeking for a qualified expert to identify, establish, and promote partnership with development partners and promote resource mobilization for the Stabilization Facility and other projects in NE Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Resident Representative, the Partnership Specialist will be required to:
- Support and maintain strong relationships with donor and government partners;
- Support Senior Management in ensuring compliance with donor agreements and requirements;
- Facilitate reporting and communications with donors and development partners;
- Support Senior Management’s engagement with donors;
- Support resource mobilization for the Stabilization Facility and NE Projects in general.
Support and maintain strong relationships with donor and government partners:
- Assist Senior Management in UNDP Nigeria and the Programme Team for the Stabilization Facility Nigerian Window in facilitating partner dialogues to market UNDP’s comparative advantages and obtain buy-in from the partners for their support to UNDP’s Stabilization Facility.
- Ensure that all donor partners are well-informed on the progress and issues related to the Stabilization Facility in Nigeria and NE Projects in general, by providing pertinent and timely information, responding to the inquiries, and producing ad-hoc reports/information brief whenever required.
- Collect donor intelligence information and conduct donor actor mapping for identification or establishment of innovative partnership and potential partners (e.g., emerging donors, the national/local government, CSOs, academic institutions, private sector);
Support Senior Management in ensuring compliance with donor agreements and requirements:
- Support Senior Management in UNDP Nigeria and the Programme Team for the Stabilization Facility to meet the requirements of donors, especially those relating to earmarking or special conditions outlined in agreements;
- Facilitate partnership agreement/formalization process with new potential partners to determine concrete areas and modality for the partnerships (e.g., financial, in-kind contribution, information sharing, technical cooperation).
- Facilitate management of donor agreements in collaboration with the respective offices (e.g., PMSU, Finance, NE Sub-Office) to ensure compliance with donor agreements, including the contribution deposit schedule, fund earmarking/restrictions, and due diligence/validation exercise.
- Support the Programme Team in NE Sub-Office for preparation and organization of donor site visits
- Ensure the government and donor visibility, including organization of the donor visibility occasions and issuing the public announcement on the partnerships (e.g., press release) in close collaboration with Communication Team.
Facilitate reporting and communications for donor partners on the Stabilization Facility:
- Oversee donor-specific and corporate reporting, ensuring reporting is in line with donor agreements and corporate standards;
- Harmonize communications and reporting products in collaboration with M&E Officers, PMSU, and Communication Team;
- Ensure linkage and synergy between public outreach with donor/partner outreach and communication needs in collaboration with Communication Team.
Support Senior Management’s engagement with donors:
- Support Senior Management meetings with high-level officials or donor meetings
- Support content development for presentations, briefing notes, or other documentation required for Senior Management donor engagement and meetings;
- Support senior management outreach to regional donors and host national government to communicate developments, the strategy of the Country Program Document, and priorities.
Support for resource mobilization for the Stabilization Facility in Nigeria:
- Assist in drafting proposals to current or potential donors in line with the donor’s interests and requirements.
- Develop materials, strategies, and other communications or products to support resource mobilization with donors;
- Support engagement with regional donors and with the host-country government to contribute resources to UNDP.