The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Professor / Assistant Professor (Communication & Multimedia Design) - Open Rank
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Hours: Full Time
Duration: 2/3 Years Renewable
Expected Start Date: August, 2020.
- AUN is seeking a motivated Associate Professor Communication & Media Studies in the department of Communication & Multimedia Design (CMD) who will be responsible for teaching, research and community service as may be requested by the Dean. The candidate contributes to preparing students to be applied, critical thinkers and problem solvers through innovative teaching and research.
- S/he will work closely with the Chair and Dean of the school in formulating and implementing course structures that would translate to effective teaching and learning of courses in line with the development philosophy of the American University of Nigeria.
- Besides the teaching responsibilities, the successful candidate is also expected to contribute to the department’s administration and scholarly work by carrying out and disseminating high quality research.
- The post-holder will be required to instruct courses, both introductory and advanced levels, including and advanced courses to his or her area of expertise. The successful candidate will possess a PhD in Communications and Media Studies or related discipline and established, or potential to establish, record of excellence in teaching, research and service.
- Candidates should possess a strong record of academic publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals, commensurate with career stage. International experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required. The right candidate must have a strong command of English language.
- The CMD program has the following concentrations: Journalism; Public relations &advertising; Radio TC/Film; and Multimedia design.
The successful candidate will teach courses in one or both of the following broad areas:
- New Media: Multimedia Design, Visual Communications, Animation, Design principles, Video and Special Effects, Web and graphic design, social media.
- Communication studies: Communication Research (Qualitative and quantitative approaches), communication Theories, international and intercultural communications.
- Conduct research and publish papers in rigorous peer-reviewed journals.
- Promote the department’s research and scholarly activities by presenting research findings in seminars and conferences.
- Supervise research projects, tutor and mentor students.
- Lead or be part of other committees aimed at promoting research, curriculum development, staff welfare etc.
- Contribute to AUN’s community service and development.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.