Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant - Agricultural Livelihood and Market Recovery Intervention (ALMRI)
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00072
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Agricultural Livelihood and Market Recovery Intervention (ALMRI) is one of the projects under Market Agricultural Livelihoods and Livestock (MALL) of Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- The ALMRI program aims to facilitate the recovery of agricultural livelihoods and markets in the context of Northeast Nigeria. The position will be based in Maiduguri with travel to project sites on regular basis. The project works with vulnerable IDPs, returnees and the host community.
General Position Summary
- The program assistant will assist the program teams in the day to day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist program officers to ensure program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination in target geographical areas.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated with regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to programming.
- Responsible for expenditure tracking of activities carried out in the field
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Senior Program Officer MALL
- Works Directly With: Finance, Program and Operation Teams