Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant, NE - CMS
Reference Number: MDG/PRO/2019/00076
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Position Status: Full-time, regular
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Works Directly With: Program, Finance, and Operation Teams
About Mercy Corps in Nigeria
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE-CMS) Program is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to reduce violence and insecurity in Borno State. The program seeks to achieve the following outcomes:
- Citizens are more civically engaged, and civilian government and security forces are more transparent and inclusive in addressing community needs around service delivery and protection;
- Communities demonstrate improved trust and social cohesion within and between actors at the local level;
- Local decision-making spaces and peacebuilding processes are equitable and inclusive of marginalized social groups, especially youth and women. The program is implemented in a consortium with multiple partners both international and national with Mercy Corps being the lead.
General Position Summary
- The program assistant will support the program teams in the day-to-day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention, focusing on administrative support and implementation of programmatic work plans.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist team to ensure program progress according to the developed work plan.
- Conduct all program administration, including submission and follow-up of all documentation related to procurements and finances, in close coordination with program officers and operations team.
- Conduct notetaking related to internal meetings and programmatic activities.
- Support preparation and smooth implementation of events and activities.
- Support the writing and submission of activity reports and program monitoring data into established systems and databases.
- Assist in the coordination with local partners in target geographical areas.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion to encourage community ownership.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist the facilitation of workshops, meetings, focus group discussions and other program activities.
- Document and share lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adhere to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in the country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.