Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps works in 13 states within the key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant - Youth Livelihood
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00082
Location: (Maiduguri and Biu) Borno
Works Directly With: Other program Officers and assistants in the program
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State. The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way. Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective. First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives. These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall, social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource; management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding. Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Programme Assistant, Youth Livelihood is a program administrator that supports the planning and administration of Vocational activities under output two of the MAIDA programme. The Program Assistant will be responsible for supporting activities in the intervention communities of MAIDA program.
- S/He will be responsible for supporting the implementation of strategic, impactful, and high-quality programming. The program Assistant will report to the Youth Livelihood Programme Officer MAIDA, and work collaboratively with fellow program staff.
- S/he will work extensively with other sectors of the project to ensure that all activities are implemented successfully and timely.
Strategy and Vision:
- Support opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Support organization activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide administrative and program support to Vocational programme officer and senior programme officer to implement the program successfully.
- Facilitate community mobilization activities to support targeting beneficiaries and improve Vocational Training Interventions knowledge, attitudes and practices.
- Support Identification, selection of beneficiaries among the vulnerable displaced people and host communities that have been affected by the insurgency interpreting in local dialect to the beneficiaries and community leaders the general program concept form.
- Support community livelihood needs assessments as at and when due
- Support training session in the field
- Support selection of beneficiaries
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Lead on program administrative task such filling, photocopying, scanning and printing
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Program Officer Youth Livelihood