Breakthrough ACTION ignites collective action and encourages people to adopt healthier behaviors-from using modern contraceptive methods and sleeping under bed nets to being tested for HIV-by forging, testing, and scaling up new and hybrid approaches to social and behavior change (SBC). Firmly grounded in proven practices, Breakthrough ACTION works in partnership with governments, civil society, and communities around the world to implement creative and sustainable SBC programming, nurture SBC champions, mainstream new techniques and technologies, and advocate strategic and sustained investment in SBC.
Job Title: Program Officer I – Social Mobilization
The Program Officer I - Social Mobilization Officer will provide technical support to the state project team in the process of planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of social and community mobilization activities. S/he is expected to work in close collaboration with the LGA supervisors, community volunteers, State and LGA Health Educators, Ward Development Committees, and the State BA-Nigeria team to plan, organize, conduct, report, and follow-up social and community mobilization activities related to family planning. The incumbent will maintain regular communication with State Coordinator, BA-Nigeria Technical Leads, and BA-Nigeria Deputy Project Director – Integrated & FP.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the overall technical inputs to the project as described above, specific duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Lead implementation of social and community mobilization activities at the state level in collaboration with the LGA supervisors, community volunteers, State and LGA Health Educators, Ward Development Committees and other relevant partners
Support community capacity strengthening activities, advocacy with religious and community leaders to create an enabling environment for the practice of MNCH+N, FP and Malaria behaviors, as applicable
Organize meetings with religious, traditional and community leaders, village heads, community groups, women’s groups, trade associations and other relevant community segments as required to mobilize for the practice of MNCH+N, FP and Malaria behaviors, as applicable
- Support training and supervision of LGA Supervisors, Community Volunteers and other social/community mobilization agents working supporting the BA-Nigeria project
- Support the BA-N M&E Officer and State Coordinator to effectively collect, collate and report social/community mobilization data as required
- Collaborate with State Coordinator and State M&E Officers to ensure documentation of all community mobilization activities
- Prepare and submit timely and quality activity reports, including field notes and success stories, to effectively capture lessons learned on the ground from the projects.
· Assist with the establishment and maintenance of effective relationships at the State level with health partners, implementing partners, State SPHCDAs/MOHs and other key stakeholders, with guidance from and in collaboration with the State Coordinator, Deputy Project Director, and Project Director;
- Other duties as identified and assigned by supervisor and/or Abuja country office program leads
Education and Experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree or HND with at least 5-7 years’ work experience in advocacy, social, and/or community mobilization in reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH) program area. Experience in family planning, nutrition, or malaria programs will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication, and organizational skills; and ability to influence and facilitate advocacy agendas at State and LGA levels
- Understanding of local communities and cultures in the state of assignment, and ability to communicate fluently in the commonly spoken local language.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to travel and work in difficult settings, including remote rural areas of Nigeria.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, or similar software
- Well-organized, with ability to track multiple activities and deadlines
- Experience in providing administrative leadership and support to work teams
- Ability to work successfully in a cross-cultural, team-based environment