The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels.
To drive quality, comprehensive health services and to engender global best practices to reduce the burden of pediatric and adolescent HIV, tuberculosis and malaria, IHVN is seeking for qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer, MNCH 1
Location: Central Office, Abuja
Job Category: Technical
Department: Prevention Care and Treatment
Unit: Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (MNCH)
Supervisor: MNCH Unit Head
- Provide programmatic support and oversight to the Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Unit at state offices
- Assist in the development, adaptation, of guidelines, tools and other relevant materials for use in the national scale up of PMTCT activities in IHVN-supported sites.
- Assist in development of program strategies, work plans and their implementation for effective operations of the hub and spoke model of scale up.
- Support the Program Area Lead to ensure smooth operations and coordination of PMTCT activities at the IHVN supported states and facilities.
- Forecast and request for PMTCT commodities such as care kits and Mama Packs.
- Co-ordinate, track progress, review results and address PMTCT challenges.
- Supervise service providers (doctors, nurses, mentor mothers etc.) to provide quality care to HIV+ pregnant women.
- Ensure the creation of a sustainable PMTCT team to deliver overall quality health care to HIV positive pregnant and breastfeeding women in the facilities.
- Ensure that the facility operates a functional and efficient client flow system through collaboration with the State PMTCT Senior Program Officer/Program Officer.
- Identify barriers to PMTCT and proffer solutions to these challenges with state teams.
- Assist and undertake needs assessments of new sites as required.
- Facilitate and coordinate all relevant trainings sessions organized for site health care workers.
- Provide technical assistance to site and community staff through precepting, monitoring, supportive supervision & mentoring.
- Facilitate and coordinate the activities of Infant Feeding Counseling/ care of HIV Exposed Infants for health care workers in the state.
- Facilitate effective linkages within thematic groups and overall community-based organizations.
- Report all activities to the MNCH Program Lead and the Director/Head, Prevention, Care and Treatment Department.
- Adhere and abide by the ethics and code of conduct of the Institute.
- Work with state team on sites Quality Improvement Team lead (QIT) to ensure quality-service given to clients is in line with the national guideline.
- Review state data on weekly/monthly basis to assess level of achievement and gaps.
- Coordinate Early Infant Diagnosis (EID) activities with the state team to determine prompt samples transport and turnaround time to the facilities.
- Coordinate the state team as they collaborate with relevant stakeholders in the state to ensure effectiveness of PMTCT interventions in the state
- Facilitate and coordinate the activities of Mentor Mothers / Traditional Birth attendants, Treatment Support Specialists, volunteers and other community structures to improve care and treatment protocols and mechanisms for tracking defaulters
- Any other duties assigned the Regional Manager/State Manager/Program Area Lead & Head of Department