The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
Job Title: Programme Assistant, DDiN2 - 3 month Opportunity
Region: Sub Saharan Africa
Country / Territory: Nigeria
Department: Education & Society
Job Category: Project Management
Pay Band: Pay Band 4
The British Council Nigeria has a 3 month opportunity for the role Programme Assistant to support the Deepening Democracy in Nigeria Phase 2 (DDiN2) Programme.
To provide administrative and financial support assistance across the full range of programme support functions as required. The Programme Assistant will support on key aspects of the PCO coordination and administration in compliance with agreed programme management systems and processes.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
Project management and delivery:
• Arrange quarterly coordination meeting with DDiN2 programme implementing partners; develop schedules for monthly update meeting with DDIN2 project implementing
partners and send out calendar invites and reminders to partners before meeting dates
• Liaise with FCR business support team for PCO procurement and logistics (ticketing, travel and accommodation) arrangements for meetings and ensure that follow up actions are taken.
• Provide minutes of meetings for PCM, CPMT/Monthly partners meetings, share with partners/DFID and update on the office shared drive.
• Liaise with Admin & Resources Assistants to make ticketing, travel and accommodation arrangements as requested.
• Any other duties as may be required by the programme.
• Provide support in reviewing Partners’ quarterly financial reports; support Programme Coordinator to finalise approval of payment requests under the different contracts to the DFID Core Programme Management Team.
• Check that funds are being spent according to budget and also assess if the expected results are being achieved or not.
• Provide support in the project procurement in line with established corporate policies and guidelines.
• Prepare and submit British Council invoice quarterly.
• To ensure risk is minimized by strict application of corporate BC financial principles in all programme related activities.
• Provide Logistical and administrative support for the PCO. This will include travel and accommodation for the project personnel, creating sales orders and submitting vendor invoices for payment.
• Collect, compile and maintain files on information related to the PCO.
• Prepare documentation for DFID audit and British Council audit.
• Assist in proper asset management, monitoring, recording and disposal.
• Liaise with British Council colleagues to ensure effective administration of the PCO.
Continuous Professional Development
• To ensure personal development on IT skills for wider administrative and logistical assistance.
• To ensure personal development on technical areas in line with the British Council
• Learning and Development policy.
• DDiN2 Programme Coordinator, Programme Administrator.
• FCR Programme Director, Operations Managers, Procurement and Estate Manager, HR Manager, Finance Manager, Admin and Resource Assistants and Drivers.
• DFID CPMT, M&E Adviser, Implementing Partners Representatives, Other DFID Programme Management Teams, Contractors, Suppliers, Service providers.