United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme & Planning Manager, P4
Job Number: 529071
Work Type: Fixed Term Appointment
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Representative and specific guidance and supervision of the Chief Management for Results, responsible for the overall coordination and management of the total programme commitment of a medium size country programme with a broad range of projects, including programme / project formulation, design, planning and management focused on achievement of UNICEF's Organizational priorities
The Programme and Planning Manager will be responsible for:
Programme Development and Management:
- Prepare program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices.
- Establishes programme work plans, monitors compliance and provides training, support and guidance to the programme team in order to meet objectives. Identifies human resources requirements and on-going staff development needs.
- In close collaboration with the monitoring manager in management for results sections, identify critical intervention points and measures by administering a consistent and transparent monitoring system; analyse country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects.
- Draft changes to / or prepare programme work plans as required.
- Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programme/projects in collaboration with Government and other partners.
- Prepares relevant programme reports required for management, the Executive Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
Optimum Use of Program Funds:
- Establish and supervise programme work plans and monitor progress and compliance. Monitor the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
- Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Rights-Based and Results-Based Programme Management Approach:
- Adopt a rights-based programme approach in the formulation of programme goals and objectives and development of strategies and implementation frameworks.
- Formulate consistent and effective planning, design, implementation, monitoring and / or evaluation of programmes and projects.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to the programming planning and design processes using a results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
- Prepare and submit viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches, and optimal utilization of resources that contribute effectively to the fulfillment of the rights of children and women, and recommendations on programme, new initiatives and management issues to ensure achievement of stated objectives.
National and Local Capacity Building / Sustainability:
- Provide government authorities with technical support and guidance to plan and organize training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Ensure the building and reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners starting with taking a strategic approach to the identification of these partners and partnerships.
Rights Perspective and Advocacy at the National, Community and Family Levels:
- Conduct policy analysis from a children's and women's rights perspective and advocacy at the government, community and family levels for elevating credibility in national and international policy debates.
- Promote the organizational goals of UNICEF through active advocacy and communication.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
- Develop partnership and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme / project status and implementation and movement / distribution of supplies.
- Linkage to the Regional Programme Knowledge Network to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme data.
- Collaborate with the Operations Section to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of programming endeavors and to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability.
- Maintain close collaboration with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers for effective overall coordination on programmes.
- Plans, develops and implements sectoral programme(s) by collaborating with the government and other partners.
- Provide leadership in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of area / country level goals, leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by UNICEF programme and country level cooperation.