UN Women - In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization's goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Specialist - Technical Coherence Spotlight Initiative
Type of Contract: FTA Local
Post Level: NO-C
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU) to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in support of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. It was launched in September 2017 by the UN Secretary-General and the EU High Representative and Vice President (HRVP). The 500 million Euro Initiative provides a model for partnerships with donors, civil society, and the UN to deliver on the SDGs in a comprehensive manner leveraging comparative expertise.
SDG 5 and the achievement of gender equality are placed at the centre of efforts (alongside Goal 16) with the aim to provide an enabling environment for the implementation of all goals. Within the UN, the Initiative will operationalize the UN development system reforms and model a new way of delivering on the SDGs in an integrated way, leveraging collaborative advantages. Three Core Agencies: UNDP (the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Population (UNFPA) and UN Women) will work together with other UN agencies to make large-scale investments in priority countries.
Reporting to the UN Women Deputy Country Representative and coordinating closely with the UN Resident Coordinator’s (RC) Office, the Programme Officer- Technical Coherence ensures overall coherence in planning, implementing, coordinating and reporting on the entire Spotlight programme initiative in Nigeria. The Programme Specialist Technical Coherence works closely with the Programme Coordinator, Steering Committee, Resident Coordinator’s Office, implementing agencies as well as other stakeholders.
The Programme Specialist Technical Coherence provides technical guidance and oversight, oversees reporting and monitoring, supervises the Programme Technical staff and ensures coherence in the implementation of the Spotlight Programme in UN Women and the RC Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Drive the implementation and management of the Spotlight programme in UN Women and the RC office:
- Provide reports to the UN Women Nigeria CO management and to the Resident Coordinator on programme performance and results;
- Provide technical advice and innovative approaches to facilitating programme interventions
- Ensure the timely coordination and management of the Spotlight Programme;
- Facilitate consolidation of joint annual work plans and budgets with the support of the Coordination Officer;
- Provide programme guidance, updates and information to the Steering Committee, implementing partners and other stakeholders;
- Regularly communicate with the Spotlight Initiative Secretariat Technical Unit in at the country and regional levels.
Coordinate technical assistance and capacity development to the Spotlight initiative in the targeted states in Nigeria:
- Provide guidance in the overall coherence of the programme across pillars, in line with Country Programme document;
- Guide the process of delivery of technical assistance and engagement with partners, as per the planned activities within the Country Programme;
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with partners at the national and state levels to support implementation of the Spotlight programme; and respond to any potential problems;
- Provide partners with technical assistance, training and capacity development initiatives as needed.
Provide programme technical guidance towards the planning and implementation of the Spotlight Programme in Nigeria:
- Coordinate the development and review of the programme annual work plans, implementation strategies, and monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Identify programmatic areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectorial areas;
- Draft programme briefs, policy discussion papers and other documents related to the Spotlight programme;
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders, women leaders, human rights experts and UN partners to gather inputs on programme design, as necessary.
Oversee the monitoring and reporting of the programme:
- Prepare analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from the programme implementation
- Oversee the process of monitoring the programme implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Identify and monitor programme risks and provide support and guidance to mitigate and address them in a timely manner
- Provide inputs to the elaboration of narrative / annual reports for final clearance by the RC;
Oversee the people and financial resources of the Spotlight programme:
- Oversee the programme budget, ensuring timely and appropriate utilization of financial resources;
- Oversee the Programme technical team; mentor and coach staff and conduct performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies:
- Provide technical and coordination support to all agencies and RC in the development of a joint resource mobilization and sustainability strategy for the programme;
- Develop relevant documentation on donors and develop potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Coordinate between the different UN agencies in Nigeria to achieve a coherent and aligned presence of the Spotlight initiative at the state and national levels;
- Provide technical support to the Resident Coordinator’s Office, the UN Women Deputy Country Representative and the Spotlight Programme Coordinator on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts;
- Ensure high level of engagement of national counterparts, particularly the Ministry of Women Affairs, other national counterpart institutions and partners, and civil society organizations;
- Ensure adequate visibility and awareness in relation to programme implementation; and conduct and support resource mobilisation efforts for the programme.
Oversee advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Represent the Spotlight Programme in meetings and policy dialogues as necessary;
- Oversee the development and implementation of knowledge management strategies and methodologies for the Spotlight programme in Nigeria;
- Facilitate the dissemination of knowledge products on the Spotlight programme targeting relevant stakeholders at the state, national and international levels;
- Ensure adequate visibility and awareness in relation to programme implementation.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality programme strategies and contributions
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget, workplans and the Programme Document
- Performance of team
- Partners and other stakeholder provide positive feedback on technical services
- Quality reports and timely submission
- Quality of advocacy, communication and knowledge management initiatives
- Strong relationships with donors, partners and other stakeholders
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
- Strong knowledge in thematic area
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation
- Strong networking skills
- Ability to negotiate and interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.