Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children's rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
Job Title: Project Officer
- The purpose of this role is to implement the Education and WASH in school as well as Covid-19 response in education sector activities in specific location(s) in Maiduguri- Borno State, Yola- Adamwa State and Damaturu, Yobe state respectively.
Dimension of Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions. The post holder will implement the WASH in school as well as Coivd-19 response in education projects focusing on WASH activities in target schools as well as Covid-19 Education response in target schools in the three states.
- The project officers will implement project activities, document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the WASH in school activities and Covid-19 response for education interventions of Plan International's emergency response.
- He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design, capacity building, WASH in school activities and Covid-19 response in the Northeast of Nigeria.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, EiE Specialist, EiE Officers and the Field Team:
- Implement of WASH in schools and Covid-19 response projects funded by P & G and Education Cannot Wait.
- Support the Project Coordinator in implementation of project activities like assessments, teachers training, identification of schools, beneficiaries and implement interventions specifically WASH in schools and Covid-19 response in education as per project design
- Support in documenting lessons learnt and best practices of the two projects
- With support from M&E team design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Support schools’ assessment on WASH in schools and Covid-19 response activities in Education sector in the North East Nigeria
- Review, assess and update the education situation in areas affected by emergency and Covid -19 crises
- Highlight education issues requiring a response – both immediate (less than 3 months) and medium term and make recommendations on specific PLAN actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s hygiene practices and learning outputs based on Covid-19 response activities, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities on Covid-19 activities – including conducting an education specific 5Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in school WASH activities in schools and education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early childhood, gender, protection, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the two projects design.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines, UN education cluster standards and INEE Minimum Standards, are considered and use EIE as well as WASH best practices.
- Provide regular updates to Education Specialist and the Emergency Response Manager, humanitarian unit and the rest of the CO on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Represent Plan International to clusters, governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Project Coordinator.
- Support the implementation of Plan International in WASH as well as Covid-19 education sector coordination mechanisms.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Education in Emergencies Specialist
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.