Our vision Since 1993, as the second French NGO, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. Our values Independent, private and nonprofit, French NGO ACTED (operating under the French law Association loi 1901) respects a strict political and religious impartiality, and operates following principles of non-discrimination, transparency, according to its core values: responsibility, impact, enterprising-spirit and inspiration.
Job Title: Project Officer DRR – Maiduguri
Job Type: Full Time
Lead on the successful implementation of the Urban DRR project in Maiduguri
- Develop the overall project implementation strategy, systems, approaches, tools, and materials for ACTED’s Urban DRR project in Maiduguri.
- Directly lead on the implementation of capacity building activities, to strengthen the skills of state and local authorities to effectively plan for and respond to emergencies in urban Maiduguri using an Area-Based Approach.
- Organise participatory workshops in Maiduguri, on area-based hazard identification and mapping in an urban context, to develop Participatory Disaster Risk Maps, and on area-based disaster preparedness.
- Design and coordinate technical trainings for state and local authority personnel on improved urban disaster response, using an Area-Based Approach.
- Organise and run simulation drills for emergency responders.
- Conduct technical trainings on emergency response resource planning and budget allocation.
- Support and oversee the Senior Coordination & Liaison Officer in developing a stakeholder map, to identify the key individuals and structures with whom to engage during the Urban DRR project.
- Support the Senior Coordination & Liaison Officer to establish area-based disaster coordination forums, led by State and Municipal authorities, at city-level and neighbourhood-level in the selected locations of Maiduguri, and ensure these are functional, relevant, and effective.
- Review budget spending and forecasting, and progress against programmatic targets at least once a month, to ensure that the project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems.
- Regularly update the Urban DRR project work plan, output tracker, PMF and other documents as required, for effective project management.
Administrative and Operational Management of the Urban DRR Project
- Review the Budget Follow-Up tool for the Urban DRR project, and provide accurate forecasts of upcoming costs based on procurements and activities, to support the smooth financial management of the project.
- Forecast monthly cash requirements of the project and submit to AC, to ensure the project has sufficient access to cash as and when required.
- Contribute to the development of Procurement plans.
- Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner, to ensure the logistics department is able to conduct efficient and timely procurements to support the Urban DRR project.
- Contribute to quality checks and procurement committees to finalise suppliers’ selection for Urban DRR project procurements, to ensure the project equipment is of the appropriate quality and specification
- Ensure a proper management and use of the project assets and stocks.
- Coordinate with the Fleet Assistant to plan team movements.
- Directly line-manage the Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer, ensure that they understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities. Follow-up on their work plan and day-to-day activities.
- Ensure project records and documents (FLAT files, beneficiary list, donation certificates, attendance sheets etc) are adequately prepared, compiled and filed according to ACTED procedures.
- Ensure staff awareness of, and respect of, ACTED’s code of conduct and FLATS procedures.
- Ensure that each member of the Urban DRR project team is aware of security issues, policies, SOPs and they follow them accordingly.
- In cooperation with the relevant Security Officer, monitor the local security situation and inform the Country Director and Country Security Manager of developments through regular written reports.
- Work closely with the Senior Coordination & Liaison Officer to cultivate and maintain positive working relationships with the relevant Municipal, State, and Federal-level authorities in Maiduguri.
- Cultivate good relations with key humanitarian, development, and peace actors working in Maiduguri, to increase buy-in for the project’s coordination structures and disaster preparedness activities.
- Attend relevant meetings with government and humanitarian partners in Maiduguri, to represent ACTED and the Urban DRR project.
- Ensure that at all times contact with beneficiaries is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner.
- Where relevant, liaise with the donor on project updates, site visits and other communication.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and coordinate efforts with other organizations to ensure our activities build upon – rather than replicate – the work of others.
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources.
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in project planning and decision making, and provide relevant feedback for new project development.
- Advise on, and assist with, project reviews conducted by ACTED’s Assessment, Monitoring, and Evaluation Unit (AMEU).
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to the AC and CD, as required.
- Draft (internal) narrative reports and contribute to the development of financial reports through regular budgetary follow up.
- Contribute to drafting of (external) project progress reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information provided.
- Expected skills and qualifications
- Master Level education in a relevant field such as International Relations or Development
- Project management experience in emergency and/or development
- Perfect verbal and written communication skills in English
- Knowledge of local language and/or regional experience an asset
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure