INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (with frequent missions to other field bases)
Starting Date: 01/02/2020
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 1 international staff
General Purpose of the Position
- The general purpose of the position is to ensure the proper and effective implementation of all protection-related activities and services of INTERSOS Programme in Nigeria, providing technical inputs, guidance and support, and operational monitoring and evaluation.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- The Protection Coordinator is in charge of developing the protection programme in country, guiding and supporting all protection-related activities and services of INTERSOS Programme in Nigeria, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles and Guidelines, International Standards, Good Practices in Protection Responses, INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
- Moreover, the Protection Coordinator is in charge of assisting the Head of Mission Nigeria and the Regional Direction for Western and Central Africa in the development, implementation and evaluation of the protection strategy and programme at country level.
- Planning, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the protection programme in Nigeria - including but not limited to protection monitoring at community and household level; assistance to most vulnerable persons, child protection prevention and response, GBV prevention and response and psychosocial support - ensuring timely and quality delivery of the targets set as per approved projects’ proposals.
- Building the capacity of specialized and non-specialized staffs, as well as community volunteers and local counterparts, providing ad hoc training sessions and continuous on-the-job coaching.
- Maintaining relations pertaining to the protection programme with donors, partners, key stakeholders, and other relevant actors at country level.
- Assisting the development, implementation and evaluation of the protection strategy and programme at country level, providing technical inputs, and suggestions for improvements and recommendations for future actions.
- Continuously assess the protection needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operations, periodically update the protection situation analysis and inform the programme accordingly.
- Continuously assess the protection response capacity of potential partners.
- Support the development, implementation and evaluation of the protection strategy and programme at country level, providing technical inputs, suggestions for improvements and recommendations for future actions.
- Support the design, promotion and elaboration of new interventions at country and regional level, ensuring protection mainstreaming.
- Stimulate and maintain active exchange of protection information within the region on useful news, publications, tools, best practices and lessons learned.
- Promote harmonization of protection approaches, methodologies and tools within the country, and create opportunities for experience sharing and learning among the team.
- In cooperation with the HR Dept and Accountability Officer, follow up on the implementation of the Child Protection (CP) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) Policies.
Programme Activities Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Support the Project Managers in preparing, managing and regularly updating the protection projects’ activities work plan, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined projects’ strategy, as well as INTERSOS and donors’ guidelines.
- Guide detailed vulnerability assessments of target populations in projects’ areas to define the exact locations of intervention and the beneficiaries.
- Provide inputs, guidance and support to ensure the quality implementation of the protection projects’ activities from the technical point of view.
- Maintain all case management relevant forms (vulnerability assessment form, case plan form, referral form, follow-up form, etc.) updated and ensure they are properly used.
- Advise on management of complex cases.
- Contribute to developing, rolling out and revising internal Protection Toolkits and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Being responsible for the functioning of CP-PSEA structure of the Mission;
- Ensure that required data protection and sharing protocols are respected.
- Promote age, gender and diversity sensitive approaches into the projects’ activities, as well as social cohesion initiatives.
- In cooperation with the Programme/Project Managers, elaborate and set up specific mechanisms to monitor and evaluate the protection projects’ activities, as well as to collect feedback and complaints from beneficiaries and target populations at large.
- Undertake field visits to the projects’ locations as needed to continuously monitor the progress and the quality implementation of the protection projects’ activities.
- In cooperation with the protection team, conduct case audits to evaluate the quality of the service provision.
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the protection projects’ activities to inform and adjust the programme accordingly.
- Report in a timely manner any eventual challenges or delays faced, loss or damage occurred, fraud or misuse detected.
- Work closely with the colleagues to ensure the integration of the protection programme with other sectors of intervention.
- Programme staffs, volunteers and local counterparts capacity building
- In cooperation with the management and human resources staffs, carry out the identification and selection of the protection staff, as required.
- Contribute to supervising and evaluating the performance of the national protection staff and international one (PSS/GBV Specialist)
- Continuously assess the training needs of the protection staffs, design the capacity building programme and develop the related material for enhanced protection response capacity and service provision according to international best practices, standards and principles.
- Ensure that all relevant non-specialized staffs, as well as community volunteers and local counterparts, are trained on humanitarian principles and code of ethics; basic principles of general protection, child protection, gender-based violence and psychosocial support; data protection and sharing protocols; safe referral; and risk mitigation.
- Support the Project Managers in elaborating and monthly updating the internal monitoring and evaluation tool, the Project Appraisal Tool (PAT), with specific reference to the protection activities.
- Contribute to preparing the projects’ narrative reports with specific reference to the protection activities, as well as other ad hoc analysis reports and material, according to INTERSOS and donors’ requirements.
- Ensure that all data related to the protection activities are disaggregated by sex and age, in order to develop profiles on the different needs and realities of women, girls, boys and men, for reporting and analysis purposes.
Coordination and Representation:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donor officers, partners, key stakeholders and other humanitarian actors.
- Participate in meetings with relevant donor officers and facilitate field visits by donor missions, as required.
- Proactively participate in the Protection Cluster/Working Group and Sub-clusters/Sub-Working Groups, including related strategic Coordination groups and thematic task forces, at country level.