Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
Job Title: Psychologist
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: OND BA/BSc/HND
Experience: 2 years
Job Field: Medical / Healthcare NGO/Non-Profit
Location: Based in Pulka, Gwoza LGA, Borno
Report to: Project Medical Referent
Report to (functional) : Project Medical Referent
Area: Medical & Paramedical
Supervises: Counselor Educators and Community Mental Health Workers
Working Hours: 48 per week
Contract Duration: Six Month Renewable
- Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients’ mental health.
- Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient and his/her relatives about the possible consequences of the illness and the drug treatment to follow and referring patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patient's condition
- Implementing the Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol, identifying possible victims of SGBV and referring them to the medical team so that they receive the necessary treatment.
- Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
- Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behaviour during sessions
- Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities
- Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
- Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Supervision of counsellor educators, and other mental health activities especially in the camps & communities on daily basis.
- Facilitate clinical counselling supervision sessions in collaboration with MHAM to the counsellors.