Malaria Consortium Nigeria is committed to tackling the large number of malaria cases and deaths in the country. Working in partnership with the Ministry of Health and other partners, we lead and support three major malaria control initiatives in the country: Support to the National Malaria Control Programme (SuNMaP); NetWorks and MAPS. Our areas of focus include: Technical support for malaria control Capacity building, harmonisation and training of health workers Heath systems strengthening Behaviour Change Communications and community outreach activities Operational research, policy and advocacy
Job Title: Public Health Specialist
Job Type: Fixed Term
Role type: National
Travel involved: Up to 40%
Length of contract: 2 years
Reporting to: Country Technical Coordinator
Direct reports: None
Country / Project background
The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded Support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 programmes and projects. The Nigeria country office has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control/elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs);
- Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention
- The post holder will work closely with the Country Technical Coordinator to support the technical design, planning, coordination and implementation of projects and programmes in the Nigeria Office portfolio.
Scope of work
- The Public Health Specialist will work closely with the Country Technical Coordinator (CTC) to support programme design, planning, implementation and epidemiological field activities, including technical inputs in development of protocols, data management, analysis, interpretation of findings and writing of progress and scientific reports.
- The post-holder will follow up on technical support to facility level and community-based health service delivery programmes.
- S/he will actively contribute to M&E, Knowledge Management and internal capacity building for MC staff.
Key working relationships:
- The Public Health Specialist will work closely with the all members of MCN Technical Team, including project Technical Officers/Specialists, Operations Research/M&E Managers/Specialists/Officers, Country Commodity Manager, Data Analysts and Programme Managers under the mentorship of the Country Technical Coordinator.
- S/he will need to liaise with stakeholders such as the Federal Ministry of Health, National Malaria Elimination Programmes, State Ministry of Health and Malaria Elimination Programmes.
Technical contributions (60%):
- As part of the Senior Country Team, work in collaboration with Country Technical Coordinator (CTC) to provide technical support to the portfolio of malaria consortium projects to ensure global best practices are utilized in programme design and roll out.
- Work with CTC to support projects in MCN in the area of design, implementation and interpretation of results frameworks.
- Lead the effort of the country office in the development of plans of action for project evaluations and coordinate the evaluation of country projects
- Lead statistical analysis of research and M&E data, and contribute to reports and publications to disseminate to national stakeholders
- Contribute to the planning of field activities and development of standard operating procedures
- Contribute to the design of data collection tools and database systems for the entry, storage and retrieval of epidemiological data
- Work with M&E officers across projects in the development / strengthening of routine and supplementary disease surveillance systems
- Liaise with the National Malaria Elimination Programme and other health service departments responsible for health programme implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation and Health Management Information System at all levels
- Provide technical assistance in the analysis and interpretation of results from surveys conducted and surveillance systems
- Contribute to the design of technical proposals
- Contribute to Malaria Consortium Knowledge Management content and strategy at National, Regional and Global levels
- Contribute to on-going operational research work across the Nigeria portfolio of projects
- Work with the M&E team in the planning, design, and implementation of health-related surveillance systems or epidemiologic studies and participate in the development of field testing of innovative tools and approaches in surveys, rapid assessments, routine data collection and surveillance
Strategic contributions (20%):
- Support the institutionalization of MCN’s guidance for Programme Technical Quality Assurance
- Work with CTC in strengthening and expanding the internal learning platforms within MCN and support capacity building for relevant technical staff across MC’s Nigerian portfolio on public health and disease epidemiology
- Ensure regular planning and implementation of the quarterly cross-learning forum
Programme management (15%):
- Work as part of the Nigerian Technical team to provide technical assistance to country requests
- Provide technical support to project managers in review of consultancy and donor reports to ensure compliance with MC’s technical standards
- Organize and participate in technical update meetings between projects and the CTC and follow up of actions
- Support CTC to collate periodic Technical Assistance Forecasts from projects to develop TA forecast for the CO
- Collate achievement against strategic milestones from project to prepare CO report to be uploaded on PreS
Communication and advocacy (5%):
- Draft manuscripts as identified by the technical team for peer-reviewed journals
- Contribute to documentation of lessons learnt from the organization’s work including production of learning briefs, learning papers, general documentation and contribution to publications.