Facebook - Founded in 2004, Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Over 2 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or Messenger every month to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.
Facebook is defined by our unique culture – one that rewards impact. We encourage people to be bold and solve the problems they care most about. We work in small teams and move fast to develop new products, constantly iterating. The phrase “this journey is 1% finished” reminds us that we’ve only begun to fulfill our mission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Policy Manager, Francophone Africa
Location: Nigeria or Senegal, Remote
Our Africa Public Policy team is seeking a Public Policy Manager who can contribute to its effort to work with all stakeholders to co-create an innovative technology policy environment in Africa. Candidates must be passionate about Africa and utterly convinced of the critical role technology plays in driving the continent's socio-economic development. The successful candidate will be a public policy expert who can combine a passion for technology’s potential to create opportunity and to make Africa more open and connected, with deep knowledge of the political and regulatory dynamics across Francophone Africa.
The Public Policy Manager for Francophone Africa will become part of a team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy questions of our times. These include privacy, safety and security, investment in Africa’s broadband infrastructure, freedom of expression, taxation, the impact of the Internet on socio-economic development, and elections.
The culture of Facebook, one that reflects the diversity of people, ideas and beliefs of our Community, is one of the keys to our success. Facebook’s Africa Policy Team prioritises this and is seeking someone who will bring their authentic self to work every day, displaying an unshakeable belief in Africa’s future, its people, and the role Facebook apps have to play in validating the present and creating the future.
Public Policy Manager, Francophone Africa Responsibilities
- Build multi-stakeholder coalitions to help advance and support policies that facilitate innovation and technological development in Francophone Africa
- Inform and support Facebook’s connectivity agenda and capacity building programs across the region
- Work with Facebook’s Politics & Government team to promote the use of Facebook as a platform for citizen and voter engagement to policymakers, civil society and other political influencers
- Work with Facebook’s Safety and Policy Programs teams and external policy and civil society partners to create and implement country and regional policy programs
- Represent Facebook in meetings with policy makers, NGOs, academia, the private sector and other stakeholders
- Support the Africa Public Policy team on any other priority policy issues and programs
- Shape research that will support evidenced-based policy development in the region
- Communicate Facebook’s positions on key policy issues in public presentations to a wide range of audiences through print, radio, TV and online media