The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Abuja Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Radio Operator
Independently operates all radio and satellite equipment for voice and data communication. Independently facilitates radio and telecommunication contacts and permanent field follow-up according to internal guidelines. Selects most efficient mean of communication (inside and outside ICRC), taking in account format electronic or paper), speed and price.
Operates all machines for Voice (Tel, VHF, HF) and satellite telephone and maintains daily radio and operations in the field mobile log. Acts quickly in the event of an emergency and contact relevant managements to contain and help solve critical incidents maintain a detailed incident log for security reports. Registers and treats incoming and outgoing information confidentially, rapidly and with accuracy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates all types of radio (VHF, HF) including phone/satellite equipment for voice and data communication
- Maintains daily radio operations in the field mobile log
- Facilitates radio and telecommunication contacts and maintains a permanent field follow-up according to internal guidelines
- Respects international and national radio procedures when contacting other stations
- Immediately shares with management any information that can affect ICRC operations.
- Registers and treat incoming and outgoing information, confidentially, rapidly and with accuracy
- Is responsible for ensuring that the correct languages are used when working with all types of radios
- Selects the most efficient means of communication (inside and outside the ICRC) taking into account speed and cost
- Conducts radio checks as requested by management
- Keeps record and tracks of satellite equipment, portable radios and other equipment in the Radio Room and ensures that they are constantly in good working condition
- Reports all faults or irregularities relating to the efficient functioning of the Radio Room and/or the equipment to the Radio
- Operator Supervisor or the ICT Department