Our vision Since 1993, as the second French NGO, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. Our values Independent, private and nonprofit, French NGO ACTED (operating under the French law Association loi 1901) respects a strict political and religious impartiality, and operates following principles of non-discrimination, transparency, according to its core values: responsibility, impact, enterprising-spirit and inspiration.
Job Title: REACH Field Assistant
Contract Length: 4 Months
Start Date: June 2020
- Since April 2017, IMPACT's REACH Initiative has been deployed to Nigeria to help meet the information needs of humanitarian actors operating in the State and build a better understanding of the needs of conflict affected populations. Supported by EU humanitarian aid and in coordination with different humanitarian actors, REACH is carrying out the following activities:
- Assessing IDPs movement intentions: IMPACT's REACH Initiative is assessing IDP intentions to return to their area of origin, move to a new location, or settle permanently in their current location in Borno State, while also looking into factors that are likely to influence IDPs' decision to move, such as their current living conditions, separation from family members and access to information on their preferred future location. The assessment will help anticipate internal displacement flows and understand IDPsТ current needs, vulnerabilities, coping mechanisms, as well as future challenges.
- Camp infrastructure mapping: IMPACT's REACH Initiative is collecting information on formal IDP camps in Borno State to support site planning and the effective distribution of humanitarian assistance.
- Rapid assessments of informal IDP camps: IMPACT's REACH Initiative is profiling informal IDP camps in Maiduguri, Borno State, in order to better understand displacement dynamics of these IDP populations, while in parallel identifying common community services used by IDPs and barriers in accessing critical services.
- Cash Working Group support: IMPACT's REACH Initiative has conducted research to support the implementation of cash programming across Borno State in close coordination with the CWG
- Multi-Sector Needs Assessment: IMPACT's REACH Initiative has conducted comprehensive quantitative data collection over all crisis-affected areas in the 3 Northeastern States of Nigeria to provide evidence-based information and support all partners and especially OCHA and the sector-system with their Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) analysis.
- Humanitarian Situation Monitoring of Hard-to-Reach Areas: IMPACT's REACH Initiative is collecting information from recent new arrivals from hard-to-reach to inform on the situation in those areas, should they suddenly become accessible.
The REACH Field Assistant shall be responsible for:
- Managing enumeration teams
- Data collection and quality assurance
- Cover other field locations when needed
- Focus group discussion facilitation
- Field FLATS support (finance, logistics, administration, and security)
- Local Engagement
- Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
Managing enumeration teams:
- The REACH Field Assistant will lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals and be responsible for providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators. They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed. They will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
Data collection and quality:
- The REACH Field Assistant will manage the data collection process. They are responsible for ensuring the enumerators data collection procedures are followed by enumerators, conducting trainings on the tool for enumerators and reporting any challenges relating to data collection or quality to the Field Manager.
- They will conduct daily briefings for enumerators to address any problems identified in the email updates from the database unit and Field Manager.
Focus group discussion facilitation and analysis:
- The REACH Field Assistant will facilitate or co-facilitate focus group discussions in the IDP settlements and host communities, providing transcription, translation and qualitative analysis of the results as required
- The REACH Field Assistant will provide FLATS support to the Field Manager by filling and tracking order forms and tracking existing and incoming REACH assets in field locations as needed.
- They will also support the organization of movement of REACH teams to and from field locations, identifying accommodations and office space, and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed.
- In coordination with the Field Manager, they will manage the hiring process for enumerators and ensure their payments are processed. They will communicate challenges relating to FLATS to the Field Manager in a timely manner.
- The REACH Field Assistant will seek to build positive relations with local governments, partners, and other stakeholders.
- They will follow guidelines from the Field Manager and report challenges to the Field officer, Senior Field Officer and the Field Manager.
The REACH Field Assistant will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries:
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.