The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new Business daily and weekly TV programme and innovative digital content alongside existing African business output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reporter (Business)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/1394352/36965
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent - Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News - WSG World Service
Reports to: Business Editor, BBC Africa
- The post holder will be based in a new Africa Business Unit. S/he will have be responsible for creating and presenting expert, authoritative and entertaining Business coverage in Nigeria and the surrounding regions, reporting for multi-platform outlets, including TV, online, social media and radio.
- The Reporter will deliver content for a daily and a weekly Business TV show and will be expected to contribute innovative ideas, drive the creative vision and present the content.
- S/he will also plan and produce video and TV packages, desk top editing, produce graphics, and arrange for guests to appear on our output.
- To compile and present engaging content offering new perspectives and deeper exploration of Business stories, interviews, profiles and digital content.
- To plan, structure, write and produce content for use on TV, Digital and Radio and to develop treatments of the highest quality with journalism at the heart.
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- To work closely with the BBC Africa teams in London, Dakar, Johannesburg and Nairobi. To have a good working relationship with Business departments within the BBC, all BBC Africa Services, external organisations and independent production companies.
- To prepare edited material either working in a self-op environment or with a craft editor to produce inserts and packages for the various outlets such as Business TV features, News bulletins, Online or social.
- To find and brief contributors for live and edited stories and interview them for broadcast.
- To develop original ideas for digital content and create engaging blogs and vlogs for BBC online sites.
- To alert Editors to breaking news and be ready to file accurate, immediate on-the-spot reports.
- To adhere to Editorial Guidelines and BBC Industry Codes of Practice and be responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s Health and Safety Regulations.
- To strive for diversity of contributors, in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and age.
- Appreciate and demonstrate the BBC Values.