Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: BA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
Experience: 3 years
Job Field: Security / Intelligence
Location: Middle belt, Nigeria
- Search Nigeria is seeking a Safety and Security Officer who will be responsible for implementing all policies and procedures regarding security & safety and promoting its day to day management for Search in the Middle Belt region of Nigeria.
- They will continuously assess the safety / security environment and devise risk reduction measures as needed in coordination with Safety and Security Manager (SSM).
- The Safety and Security Officer will be based in Jos with frequent travel to the field. S/he will report to the Safety and Security Manager and work closely with the Head of Office (HOO) of the region and the Admin/Procurement Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with SSM to ensure security strategies for Search Nigeria and that response are appropriate and aligned with regional and global priorities.
- Deliver oversight of security prevention, preparation, and response and recovery activities, particularly in their respective offices and to counter threats emerging from changing political, social and economic situations.
- Support in developing, reviewing and ensuring effective implementation of the Search Nigeria Security Management Plans, SOPs/Contingency Plans, including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key staff
- Ensure that all safety and security management systems are in line with existing Search security policy, protocol and approach
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a personnel and vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Support the SSM in planning and implementing risks mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) to improve safety and security.
- Ensure that appropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Lead incident management, lessons learnt and any follow-up actions/ changes to procedures.
- Provide crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Be readily available at all times to the HOOs and field staff to advice on security developments.
- Maintain an updated Search staff contact list and security notification tree and test the tree on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular site visits to field sites to assess safety/security arrangements.
- Monitor implementation of safety and security protocols and promptly advise the CD of any non-compliance and/or concerns/issues.
- Report, analyze and communicate current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Ensure compliance with the incident reporting system and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Conduct ongoing threat assessments and compile daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures that the information is shared in a timely manner.
- Build and maintain regular contact with other agency security focal points, including NGOs, UN, USAID and local authorities related to security issues and concerns especially in program implementation areas in order to gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Attend security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security related information with third-party security and risk management service providers.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.