Our vision Since 1993, as the second French NGO, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. Our values Independent, private and nonprofit, French NGO ACTED (operating under the French law Association loi 1901) respects a strict political and religious impartiality, and operates following principles of non-discrimination, transparency, according to its core values: responsibility, impact, enterprising-spirit and inspiration.
Job Title: Security and Liaison Officer
Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension
Level: D2-1 (national contract)
Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
About the job
Under the authority and leadership of the Country Director, the direct management of the Country Security Manager (CSM), and under supervision of the Project Manager; Security and Liaison Officer (SLO) responsibilities are, but not limited to the following:
- He/she also responsible to ensure a regular security and safety communication is maintained between ACTED office at Maiduguri and field offices.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Staff/Program and Premises Safety/Security:
- Provides supervision to the guard force in the assigned area.
- Conduct regular reviews of ACTED facility physical security measures and produce/update compound security profile and security assessment reports.
- Manage the guard force shift pattern and leave rotation.
- Deliver monthly standard operating procedure (SOP) training to the guard force.
- Conduct fire drills monthly and security emergency response drills quarterly, involving all base staff.
- Conduct inspections of the fire safety equipment every quarter and produce a quarterly fire safety report for the head of department.
- Conduct spot checks of the guard force to ensure they are working in accordance with SOPТs. Inspect guard force equipment each week and report damages or losses in a timely manner.
- Conduct a monthly inspection of the saferoom and hibernation kit. Identify hibernation items soon to expire.
- Conduct daily pre-deployment security briefs and post-deployment de-briefs with field staff.
- Distribute security alerts in a timely manner.
- Provide area security briefings to staff visiting from other ACTED areas.
- Deliver security SOP training twice annually, to ACTED staff in your assigned area.
- Develop and grow a security network of reliable security focal points in Katsina, Kano, Zamfara and Sokoto, for the sharing and receiving of timely security information.
- Review and update the area security risk assessment every six months.
- Deploy to potential new areas of intervention in the northwest region, to conduct security risk assessments, if required.
- Receive and review Security Clearance Requests (SCRТs) from ACTED staff and process in a timely manner. Submit SCRТs to the head of department for further processing.
- Liaise with various key stakeholders on behalf of ACTED senior management and the project manager.
Transport/movement Safety and Security:
- Inspect vehicles pre-deployment, ensuring they are fully equipped with breakdown kit, fire extinguishers, medical kits, serviceable seatbelts, and a functional locking system.
- Monitor security information and security alerts and notify field teams of ongoing incidents immediately.
- Liaise with external security sources before and during staff movement, to ensure security information is up to date.
- Deploy with field teams on a weekly basis to review staff field conduct in accordance with security SOPТs, update actor mapping, update activity site risk assessment and assess atmospherics.
- Share security information with the ACTED countrywide security department, for filtering and verification.
- Always be reachable by either mobile phone, email, or satellite phone.
- Attend meetings relating to security and area access and submit a meeting summary to the head of department.
- Submit a weekly security summary specific to your assigned area to the head of department, outlining security incidents, no go areas, route security updates and significant operations of armed state and non-state actors.
- Submit a monthly security report to the head of department covering Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kano, including incident analysis, trend analysis, armed state and non-state actor analysis and route security updates.
- Maintain a live database of security incidents and submit to the head of department on a weekly basis.
- Submit a Security Incident Report (SIR) to the head of department within six hours from when an incident involving ACTED staff occurs.
- Attend security department meetings and provide feedback for you assigned area. Provide context or post-incident analysis during department meetings.
- Collect satellite phone logbooks at the end of each month and submit to the logistic department.
- Attend INSO training courses in accordance with the department capacity building plan.
- Comply with ACTEDТs Code of Conduct, and additional instructions, directives, and policies received during the hiring process, trainings or from the head of department.
Stakeholder Management and Liaison:
- Supporting the Project Manager in establishing and maintaining positive relations with local authorities including, local government, police, and community groups.
- Representing ACTED in local community forums when required and ensuring all groups of the Katsina community are engaged in an open, positive, and non-discriminatory way.
- Proactively ensuring that the reputation of ACTED and partners is promoted in the region and addressing any potential reputational challenges.
- Building positive collaborative relationships with staff from project partner organizations.