Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa's financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Analyst, Investment Research and Corporate Strategy
Job ID: 35010
Location: Lagos Island
Job Sector: Financial Services
- To provide timely investment advice and recommendations to the Fund Management Functions within the Wealth Businesses.
- A successful execution of the job will involve the availability of quality research recommendations across the various asset classes the Wealth Businesses are invested in. Evidence of quality relationship with key industry stakeholders across the investing landscape. It is expected that an analyst would build a strong network of contacts at the CEO/CFO and Investor Relations levels to ensure access to company information as and when due. The analyst will also generate information and relationships that will aid the collaborative business of the entire Group.
- The analyst will serve as a member of the Investment Strategy Committee of both Stanbic IBTC Asset Management Limited and Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers Limited and provide critical insight towards the investment strategy process of both businesses.
Develop investment themes to drive investment strategy formulation:
- Establish key drivers for the various sectors and a themed outlook to back the investment themes of the fund management functions.
- Develop buy-side recommendation material to aid investment decisions of the investment management functions
- Obtain internal feedback from investment management stakeholders on the following:
- Timing of recommendations
- Quality of investment calls
- Number of interactions with external business stakeholders
- Number of responses to internal client requests
- Number of activities for wider group stakeholders and corporate clients
Write insightful and impactful research regularly and within timed limits:
- Write insightful and impactful research regularly and within timed limits to inspire timely investment decisions by the fund managers. These reports should be focused on the drivers of the investment recommendation, reflect management and industry information as well the impact of news and information on the share valuations of the companies under coverage.
Provide corporate access to link executives of corporations and other decision and opinion managers to in house investment managers:
- Organise internal meetings with executive management of investee companies and companies of interest to provide fund managers with deeper insight into companies following published research.
- Also organise interactive sessions for trustees of funds under management to drive interaction and provide more confidence for the fund management investment decisions
- The above should derive value for other businesses in the group alongside the collaborative drive as it will provide access to corporate management for several business areas.
Work with all client facing units to provide regular but simplified breakdown of the economic information:
- Provide regular breakdown of economic information to client facing units to enable and equip them to provide better service to clients and position them to better engage with clients on news and industry related matters
- Provide training on a needs basis to non client facing units across the business to address industry information
- This is expected to increase our engagement quality and value add to clients of the business and also aid collaborative
Complete and respond to bespoke enquiries:
- Respond to requests for financial information and recommendations from across the business and from external clients (clients of our funds) where such needs arise.
- Email and phone conversations to provide context.
- Provide timely monthly quarterly reports to the EXCO and board through the Corporate Secretariat and responding to bespoke board enquiries on investment research related matters when they arise.
- Organise quarterly investment strategy committee meeting for SIPML and curate minutes of such meetings for the approval of the CEO and ED Investment.
- To provide an objective source of macro economic data and forecasts for fund management across Wealth and for Finance budgeting purposes
- Provide macro economic backgrounds on well developed Power Point Templates to be further developed for use by Fund managers and all other material required to meet client needs
- To provide directional guidance for alternative asset investment decisions and provide recommendations where required
Internal & External Relationships
Finance - Fund Managers, Traders, Analysts, economists, regulators:
- Internal stakeholders include fund managers and sales traders who require inputs to firm up mandates and place buy and sell orders, analysts within and outside the business as well as regulators, senior management of investee companies, industry practitioners
Senior Management and Investor Relations:
- Influence industry norms