The United Nations is the one international organization with the reach and vision capable of solving global problems. The United Nations Foundation links the UN's work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women's empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader, P5
Job Opening Number: 19-Sustainable Development-RCS-123639-R-Abuja (X)
Department/Office: Resident Coordinator System
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organization Setting and Reporting
- The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Abuja, Nigeria and reports to the UN Resident Coordinator (RC).
Within delegated authority, the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader will be responsible of the following duties:
Summary of Functions:
- Leads the provision of strategic guidance to the RC and UN Country Team (UNCT) on effective, quality and timely UN support for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through the Common Country Analysis (CCA) and UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF)
- Initiates, establishes and coordinates external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts for the new generation UNSDCF
- Coordinates the Business Operations Strategy and develops business innovations
- Manages and directs knowledge management and capacity development activities in and outside the UN System
- Leads and coordinates overall management of the RCO to ensure efficient and effective substantive coordination support to the RC/UNCT and adherence to organizational policies and procedures
Description of Functions:
Leads the provision of strategic guidance to the RC and UNCT of effective, quality and timely UN support for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through a new generation CCA/UNSDCF:
- Leads and coordinates substantive support to the RC/UNCT in articulating and actively communicating a credible and convincing strategic vision for the UN, articulated through the UNSDCF, which is consistent with national development goals and priorities, UN values, aligned with the 2030 Agenda and committed to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind;
- Provides strategic direction and develops recommendations to facilitate decision-making by the RC/UNCT in relation to repositioning of the UN System in country, especially related to the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One;
- Develops policy recommendations to the RC/UNCT on the development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the new generation CCA/UNSDCF as the primary instrument for the planning and implementation of UN development activities in country;
- Ensures effective guidance to the RC/UNCT in asserting vision and accountability for the UN to operate as a nimble, innovative and enterprising development partner, demonstrating characteristics of a knowledge-based organization and thought leader;
- Leads the strategic design of UN’s policy and programmatic services, operational capabilities, and partnership mechanisms;
- Establishes and promotes close engagement across the humanitarian, development and peace domains, as required by the country context;
- Leads the identification, analysis and prioritization of joint programmatic work of UN entities in response to national priorities and in line with the UNSDCF and the 2030 Agenda, based on analysis carried out the Sustainable Development Policy Advisor;
- Coordinates the UNSDCF and Joint Workplans; directs UNSDCF monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and reporting through UNINFO; guides preparation and provision of the annual One UN Country Results Report to the Government and other stakeholders;
- Promotes the engagement of all agencies – resident and non-resident - and other relevant UN entities, including at Headquarters and at the (sub-)regional level in inter-agency fora and in discussions with external partners;
- Ensures coherence in the different intra-agency coordination bodies, including with Humanitarian Country Teams and the Security Management Team.
Initiates, establishes and coordinates external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts for the new generation UNDAF:
- Initiates, establishes and coordinates effective working relationships with national and international public and private partners to ensure knowledge sharing in support of Common Country Analysis (CCA)/UNSDCF development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Directs substantive support for positioning the UN as a key provider of integrated services and as a platform in support of the SDGs, in consultation with a broad range of stakeholders;
- In close collaboration with the Development Partnerships Officer, leads the formulation and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy as well as the Resource Mobilization Strategy, and other initiatives in support of SDG achievement through the UNSDCF ;
- Leads the design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programming processes amongst UN entities;
- Based on UNSDCF and joint programmes, coordinates joint resource mobilization and partnering efforts at country level;
- Manages the implementation of the SDG Country Fund (where relevant) in support of the UNSDCF and SDG acceleration;
- Oversees strategic messaging and communication initiatives by RC/UNCT.
Coordinates the Business Operations Strategy and develops business innovations:
- In collaboration with the Operations Management Team (OMT), directs substantive support to the RC/UNCT on business innovations for the UN in country;
- Provides substantive direction in formulating, implementing and monitoring the UN Country Business Operations Strategy;
- Guides the OMT in implementing common premises, and in establishing a common back office for location-dependent services;
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement and client-orientation in operational service delivery;
- Ensures effective guidance on the establishment of common services arrangements to participating organizations/agencies at the country level.
Manages and directs knowledge management and capacity development activities in- and outside the UN System:
- Coordinates the transfer of knowledge and effective communications across different UN and non-UN entities;
- Leads the sharing of best practices, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across the UN system and with external partners;
- Directs thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate;
- Coordinates knowledge sharing (including through training and facilitating peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Oversees the analysis of UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to contribute to strategic planning processes.
Leads and coordinates overall management of the RCO to ensure efficient and effective substantive coordination support to the RC/UNCT and adherence to organizational policies and procedures:
- Coordinates the formulation and implementation of the substantive work programme of the UNCT; allocates and monitors RCO resources for delivery of outputs and reporting on results;
- Supervises the activities undertaken by the RCO, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion;
- In close collaboration with UNDP, manages processes related to human and financial resource management, procurement, general administration, security, and information technology for the RCO;
- Manages, guides and trains staff under his/her supervision; promotes teamwork and communications among staff in the RCO and across organizational boundaries;
- Establishes and maintains a work environment in the RC Office and across UN entities that is conducive to innovation and engagement with a diverse set of stakeholders and delivers results in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.