The North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria - An International Development Organization is seeking to engage qualified nationals to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
- The Senior Finance Officer will assist the Finance Manager in developing and managing the project’s financial systems.
- S/he will work under the supervision of the Finance Manager and will support him/her in all matters related to financial management, financial reporting, subcontracting.
- S/he will also assist the Finance Manager in ensuring sufficient funds are available for effective and efficient implementation of project activities and support programs. Specific areas of responsibility include financial report preparation, review and submission to headquarters and cash flow management. Some travel is expected.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Senior Finance Officer reports to the Finance Manager in Abuja.
Primary Responsibilities and Deliverables
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing accurate and timely financial reports in line with USAID/ OTI and Creative’s financial regulations
- Providing and interpreting financial information from Microsoft Dynamics SL and other project source documents
- Ensuring that monthly projections are collated from various components for cash requests and burn rate
- Developing external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. bankers and statutory organizations such as the Inland Revenue, NSITF and pension officials.
- Supervising Finance Officers, mentoring and coaching colleagues on policies, procedures, financial regulations etc.
- Keeping abreast of changes in financial regulations and legislations and communicating implications to management as needed
- Maintaining collaborative professional relationships with managerial staff and colleagues in other departments (particularly Grants and Procurement) to support activity clearance, implementation and overall program delivery
- Applying internationally accepted principles and procedures to analyze financial information
- Ensuring appropriate accounting control and procedures in all financial operations
- Monitoring of cash balances, prepare advance account reconciliations and bank reconciliations and respond to inquiries from HQ.
- Monitoring cash balances on dynamics and bank, ensuring that drawdowns from USD to Naira account are done timely as soon as a confirmed exchange rate is received from the bank
- Reviewing local expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with USAID/ OTI and Creative’s financial practice before reimbursement
- Coordinating with program and administrative staff to ensure that transactions are properly planned, recorded and coded
- Prepare payroll, send pay slips and make all statutory deductions to the relevant authorities
- Coordinate with the bank for information regarding exchange rate, bank balances, wire transfer etc.
- Interpret financial reports and produce burn rate analyses for management decision making and communicate information in a way that demonstrates a understanding of development assistance work, project priorities and strategy, values and practices.
- Participating in preparation of spontaneous work plan activities and budget for instant intervention in areas that need urgent attention
- Ensure staff have good understanding of policies and procedures and that knowledge is reflected in the day to day financial transactions – avail staff with all relevant policies and procedures, provide on job trainings, as necessary provide feedbacks on irregularities, etc.…
- Initiate and implement a planning and reporting practices for staffs under Finance Manager supervision.
- Support, as needed, in capacity building work of grantees