Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is recruiting for Senior Grant Specialist
Job ID: 13-11017
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN - Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A576 - PMI - S
Reports: To Director of Finance and Administration, PMI-S
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
The purpose of the Senior Grants Officer/Manager is to assist the DFA to manage and coordinate MSH Nigeria’s complex grants portfolio lending to a variety of Non-governmental organizations, faith based organizations, and community based organizations in order to strengthen health systems and improve health service delivery throughout Nigeria. Work closely with the supervisor to establish and follow a transparent grant process, and develop tools to implement the process, assuring that sound practices are applied at every stage of the grant process from guidelines to closeout.
• Reporting Directly to Director of finance and Operation; Responsible for management of the grant Cycle from solicitation, evaluation and selection, responsibility determination, Grant agreement and award, monitoring implementation and closeout
• Draft solicitations, document subrecipient source selection and grant mechanism to be adopted. Issue Request for Application (RFA) Expression of interest (EOI) etc
• Evaluation- Coordinate the evaluation of application, and prepare a long list of proposed grantees for technical team review in line with the grant manual, collate evaluations scores document and prepare evaluation summary memo
• Responsibility Determination- Conduct Pre awards assessment, survey and due diligence checks for new partners, administer various assessment tools, collate reports and develop specific conditions for grant award as applicable
• Grant Award and Agreement- Develop and finalize grant agreement for all grantees and carry out modifications as applicable
• Liaising with the technical team facilitate grant start up/inception workshop for grantees, Prepare training sessions and conduct workshops in grants management , financial obligations, reporting management for grantees as necessary.
• Capacity building of team members.
• Ensure that systems are in place in country to ensure that grants operations are managed and staff act in full compliance with local laws, adhere to contract/award and donor requirements, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
• Ensure that appropriate staff members are aware of and understand laws, contract/award, donor requirements, and MSH policies and procedures.
• Ensuring funds are requested office as at when due, ensure grantee request for funds are disbursed promptly in line with grant mechanism. Ensure monthly deadlines are met
• Develop monitoring and mitigation plan and tracking sheets for grantees
• Carry out on site supervisory visits quarterly to grantees, and develop and follow up on support plan
• Ensure that all project reports are developed and submitted within the timelines specified in the Grant Agreement
• Documenting monitoring steps performed, the processes reviewed, and the result of the testing and reviews, Documenting area of weakness, recommended action, timelines for implementation and technical support required from the donor and get it signed off by both parties
• Close Out: Close out all grants and issue close out letters
Financial Report Review
• Review grantee financial report and process for disbursement; carry out finance refresher training for grantees finance staff
• Provide on-going guidance for technical staff on regulations
• Monitor grantee to ensure compliance with USAID regulation
• Populate grant files and ensure they are updated both in hard and electronic copies
• Carryout grantees financial assessment, monitoring and financial support
• Work with the sub-recipients in meeting their Special award conditions as applicable
Audit and Evaluation
• Assist with the Internal and external audit preparations including putting together relevant documentation on grants
• Coordinate all grants audits and ensure complete implementation of recommendations
• Follow up on audit issues and provide appropriate response with support from Finance and director of operation