The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title Senior Journalist, Presenter (Hausa)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/44101
Contract Type: Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News - WSG World Service
Job Designation: Senior Broadcast Journalist/Presenter, BBC/MacArthur Foundation Series
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation is a private foundation based in United States. It makes grants to support non-profit organizations in approximately 50 countries around the world
- In Nigeria, its activities involve promoting transparent and efficient use of public resources in basic education with emphasis on the Universal Basic Education Commission's matching grant fund and the Home Grown School Feeding programme
- It is also bringing together regulators and other stakeholders in the electricity sector to raise consumer awareness and pilot new approaches to improving transparency in electricity distribution
- The foundation is also working to promote accountability in governance
- The BBC World Service is teaming up the MacArthur Foundation to produce and publish a series of multimedia content around these key areas.
- We are looking for a seasoned Broadcast Journalist with a track record of editorial leadership and excellence to support the Series Editor and the rest of the team in delivering the project
- The role is based in Abuja but frequent travel is required for on-location recording in different parts of Nigeria
- The series will originally be in Hausa with the BBC Hausa Service and other partner stations airing the radio content which will be adapted to other platforms
- The project will also have strong digital components which will also go on BBC and partner platforms
- The format will involve debates and town hall events as well as other short reports and self-authored pieces to be recorded in different parts of Nigeria.
- As Senior Broadcast Journalist/presenter, you are to ensure that content has depth, creativity and is of high editorial standards capable of generating impact and healthy engagement on social media.
- You are to also to liaise with all the relevant departments within the BBC and the MacArthur Foundation for the smooth execution of the project.
- As team leader you are to ensure that other team members have the necessary training and kit to produce the series.
- You will work closely with the Business Development unit to ensure that partners and other outlets get materials for reversion on time.
- You may also be updating the client on the progress of the project and ensure you attend the cohorts meetings.
- You will ensure that the production team is highly motivated and working effectively to deliver the series
- You are also to ensure that guests and participants are secured and booked on time for any recording