The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Technical Assistant
Ref. nr.: 4120637338
Location: Damasak, Borno
Job Type: Full time
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Technical Assistant for our area office in Damasak, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in Damasak.
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The Shelter Technical Assistant reports to the Shelter Officer.
- Pr-evaluation of needs (Targeting, Needs Assessment, Beneficiary Identification & Selection) and alert the hierarchy of any population movement in the area.
- Provide technical support and orientation to local technicians and community workers, train and develop their capacity
- Implement shelter construction activities, conduct technical assessment and approval of the quality of work and ensure better management of remaining material.
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness, and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to the shelter activities.
- With the support of the Shelter Officer and Shelter coordinator, provide the drafts of technical drawings, Bill of Quantity, site plan and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- Construction designs or for any unpredictable soil constraints identified.
- Assist the shelter officer to accurately control the movement of trucks, quantities, and qualities of materials supplied to the site.
- Maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees, and partners as well as with all stakeholders in the NRC area of intervention
- Ensure the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction/rehabilitation of shelters and community infrastructures and other shelter activities
- Represent NRC in-field coordination meeting when required.