UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Job Title: Snr Shelter Assistant
Job ID: 19416
Location: Yola, Nigeria
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level: D
Family Location Type: Non-Family
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested candidates should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (IOM/49-FOM/50/2012 dated 15 June 2012).
Duties and Qualifications
Senior Shelter Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Shelter Assistant will assist in providing technical support on shelter and general infrastructure related activities as well as regular guidance within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
As part of the shelter team, the Senior Shelter Assistant assists the supervisor in assessment of shelter needs, capacity and monitoring of the project implementation as well as reporting activities.
The incumbent usually reports to a senior shelter / settlement technical colleague.
The Senior Shelter Assistant supports UNHCR technical efforts during an emergency and or protracted crises assisting his / her supervisor in ensuring that national and / or international Shelter standards and best practices are met.
Main contacts are with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs. The incumbent also liaises with IPs and local authorities on behalf of UNHCR.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist in carrying out technical assessments of all shelter typologies e.g. (i.e. unused or unfinished private and public buildings / private accommodation /houses/apartments) in priority locations that have been identified by the municipalities and /or the Shelter partners.
- Assist the supervisor in technical and/or shelter coordination activities.
- Assist in technical design work and preparation of tender documents such as specifications, schedules of work and BQ¿s.
- Assist the supervisor and/or implementing partners when necessary with technical support for all aspects of shelter related activities.
- Assist with the monitoring and reporting of the project implementation under the AoR.
- Support supply colleagues in the market analysis of locally available construction materials and skills, promoting the use of local capacity as appropriate.
- Regularly report on work progress of various shelter activities and preparation of SitRep¿s (weekly and monthly). Utilising standard portals e.g. SIP making information on shelter projects within area of responsibility readily available for colleagues.
- Liaise with IPs and local authorities on behalf of UNHCR.
- Participate in monitoring of the implementation of shelter activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.