UN Women - In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization's goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Spotlight Initiative Intern
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial duration of 3 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women’s office in Nigeria works to advance implementation of the Agency’s normative, operational and coordination mandate, in close partnership with the Government of Nigeria, the United Nations Country Team and civil society organizations. UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU), launched in 2017, as part of the global response to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in support of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. Nigeria is one of eight African countries selected to implement the Spotlight Initiative, which will focus strongly on preventing early marriage and female genital mutilation. The Spotlight Initiative will be implemented in six target states in Nigeria by five principal agencies (UNDP, UN Women, UNFPA, UNICEF and UNESCO) under the coordination of the Resident Coordinator’s Office.
- UN Women, as one of the core agencies implementing the Spotlight Initiative in Nigeria, will establish a dynamic and energetic team to support implementation of the Initiative. An intern will be recruited as part of the Spotlight Initiative team, and report to the Technical Coherence Programme Officer, while working with the entire UN Women Spotlight team, to delivering on UN Women’s interventions under the entire Spotlight Initiative
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the day to day planning and management of programmes and activities
- Support the development and implementation of a communications and advocacy strategy for the Spotlight Initiative
- Contribute to the development of an innovative social media strategy for the Spotlight Initiative
- Support the development of news stories and briefs for the website and newsletters, and the production of advocacy and communication materials (eg. films, videos)
- Take photographs and videos for both traditional and web-based media.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of a resource library, the development of knowledge tools and products to inform the programmatic roll-out of the Spotlight Initiative.
- Support the Spotlight team to prepare and organize workshops, trainings and meetings with partners and key stakeholders
- Assist in the documentation and reporting on programme activities, writing meeting minutes, mission and training reports
- Support research to inform preparation of talking points, concept note and other documentations
- Perform other duties as may be required
- Develop an understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system.