World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: State Technical Officer, Measles and Meningitis A
Job ID: 1901423
Locations: Adamawa, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, FCT- Abuja, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto, Taraba and Zamfara
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration: 6 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
- WHO Nigeria is providing support to the Federal Ministry of Health through the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), to conduct high impact immunization activities. These include the introduction of Measles Second Dose (MSD) and Meningitis A vaccine in routine immunization, Supplementary immunization in Yellow Fever, Meningitis A and Measles. These are in line with achieving the objectives set out in the Nigeria Strategy on Immunization and Primary Health Care Systems Strengthening (NSIPSS) and subsidiary strategies including the Elimination of Yellow Fever Epidemics (EYE) strategy and the Measles Elimination Strategic Plan.
- The State Technical Officer shall work harmoniously with the state team and provide technical support in ensuring Measles and MenA Supplemental Immunization Activities (SIAs) planned in 2019 reach at least 95% for varying targeted age groups
Description of Duties
Under the overall technical guidance of the EPI Team Leader, the WHO Country Office (WCO) unit heads, the State Technical Officer will work under the day-to-day supervision of the WHO State Coordinator and the oversight of the Zonal Coordinator, and will perform the following functions:
- Support coordination of activities at state level and ensure all key stakeholders are brought on board timely.
- Assist the state to develop quality work-plans and monitor timely implementation of planned activities.
- Assist the state in the development of quality micro-plans, validation of micro-plans to ensure plans address all needs required for a quality campaign as logistics, personnel and waste management plans are in line with specified guidelines.
- Assist the state in conducting resource mobilization sensitization and advocacy to bridge funding gaps for the campaign.
- Ensure that the state commitment to the campaign is met timely
- Support estimation of Cold Chain space at LGA cold stores and ensure identified gaps are filled prior to the commencement of the campaign.
- Support the development of waste management plan including its implementation as per requirements
- Support the development of training plans and assist in the Facilitation of State and LGA level trainings for the 2019 Measles and MenA activities
- Support the management of AEFI– Reporting, investigating, composition of AEFI Committees at the state and LGA level and their Responsibilities. Management of Negative Rumours against Vaccination / Immunization, etc.
- Conduct pre-implementation assessment of LGAs prior to commencement of the campaign with a standardized checklist approved by the national
- Participate in all conference calls with the State for the campaign readiness
- Support vaccine accountability in LGAs/State.
- Monitor progress of pre, intra and post campaign activities and report to WCO.
- Participate in the conduct of Rapid Convenience Monitoring Process during implementation
- Submission of programme report.
- Submit weekly updates/dashboard to the WCO and the NMYTCC committee