Avocats Sans Frontieres France (Lawyers Without Borders France or ASF France) is a French NGO established under the French law on organisations of July 1st, 1901. Avocats Sans Frontières France use all the means available and can bring complaints before domestic and international institutions, and before judicial and non-judicial institutions, it can also intervene before them, including through civil actions before competent jurisdictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Support Lawyer
ASF France mission in Nigeria
- Active in Nigeria for more than a decade, ASF France is currently implementing human rights project on promoting international human rights standards on anti-torture and death penalty issues. Within the context of these projects, ASF France and its partners provide free legal assistance, conduct trainings and organize awareness and sensitization activities.
- As part of its SAFE project: “Strengthening the national actors' capacities and Advocating For Ending serious human rights violations in Nigeria”, Avocats Sans Frontières France is seeking to employ a Support Lawyer in Kaduna, Nigeria.
- With legal, technical and financial support from ASF France, the support lawyer will provide free legal assistance to victims of torture, ill-treatment, arbitrary detention and extra-judicial killings and their families in Kaduna state.
- Establish the contact with the prison(s) and get the permits to visit them.
- Prison visits to interview clients, to identify the victims' needs and to identify cases within the scope of the project.
- Document and obtain all necessary details on cases within the scope of the project for petitions before national and international bodies.
- Monitor and litigate cases of victims of torture, ill-treatment, arbitrary detention and extra-judicial killings and their families.
- Ensure an individual follow-up of approved cases and carry out all the proceedings for the defence of the victims: prepare and file appropriate applications before the Court, be present at the hearings, and obtain judgements in all project related cases etc.
- Maintain contact with victims and families of victims during and after conclusion of cases.
- Use pre-established tools and reporting methods for case documentation and monitoring;
- Case monitoring by weekly reports, phone contact and emails;
- Monthly visits to stakeholders to promote interactions between judicial actors and ASF France;
- Preparation of high level meetings and agenda for the Project Manager’s field visit and mission to the state;
- Preparation for logistics for trainings, roundtables, advocacy meetings and other project activities when scheduled within the state.