The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems. The University offers an American-style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. The University started on temporary buildings at the AUN Academy located directly opposite the AUN campus. In seven years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa. At AUN Enrolees are provided with the tools to achieve personal growth and material success. AUN is a completely wireless University, which is highly focused on IT. Computers, the internet and other critical IT facilities are key tools in teaching. These facilities are deployed in classes and completion of course assignments. With great emphasis on small classes, AUN’s main goal is to graduate well-educated and qualified students in both general knowledge and specialized disciplines. Having acquired first class American education right here in Nigeria, AUN students can remain in the country or Africa and contribute as entrepreneurs, corporate business people, government leaders, scientists and good citizens. AUN offers a complete academic string ranging from elementary, through secondary, to undergraduate to graduate school. The AUN Academy across from the main campus, operates the elementary school, a Charter School, and a high school with American and international tracks. Since 2009, AUN has consistently graduated four classes. Many of these alumni have either enrolled into top graduate schools abroad, taken up jobs in key organizations or have established personal businesses around the country and abroad. AUN has a sprinkle of international students from around the world ranging from UK, USA, Niger Republic, Ghana, Cameroun and Rwanda. The biggest foreign enrolment ever is from Rwanda where seventeen students have enrolled for the fall 2012 semester. Resulting from AUN’s unique approach to teaching and community service, the University receives accolades from international organizations and institutions. In 2011 the American Peace Corps, while celebrating its 50th anniversary, conferred on the AUN Founder the first ever Harry Wofford Global Citizenship award for his uncommon generosity and unusual support to higher education. Also in 2011 the AUN President Dr. Margee Ensign won the African Leadership award in Educational Excellence in the UK. In October 2012 AUN was also conferred with another prestigious award in Atlanta Georgia titled Africa Leading University Award 2012.
Job Title: Training Officer
Job Type: Contract , Full Time
Experience: 1 - 2 years
Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Location: Bama Centre-Maiduguri, Borno State
Department: Atiku Center - Programs.
Duration: 1 (One) Year
Employment Status: Full Time (Project)
- Ensure beneficiaries are screened, selected and verified through use of developed targeting criteria in operational areas.
- Provide livelihood guidance, on an individual or group basis, to increase beneficiaries’ awareness of different business options based on market assessment and beneficiary interests.
- Provide information to beneficiaries about livelihood and business development opportunities.
- Organize small business training and business planning activities with beneficiaries
- Provide information to beneficiaries on skills trainings, market opportunities, and small enterprise creation.
- Assist beneficiaries in the establishment of home gardens/poultry production and continued support throughout the project timeframe.
- Facilitate the implementation of Cash Transfer programmes and funds for Work
- Support in trainings of PoCs and other events related to the project.
- Establish linkages to adult learning institutions and refer beneficiaries to selected courses.
- Provide administrative support if required.
- Submit weekly reports and contribute to compilation of the monthly report and submit to the Supervisor.